Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Issues after complete reformat

• Please log in to reply

HOUSAKI

HOUSAKI

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So, this morning I deleted my windows partition and created a new, reinstalling windows entirely onto this new partition; everything clean and fresh. After installing XP and upon arriving on my new desktop, I started getting multiple errors.

The errors dont really seem to be a product of anything I do, they just pop up at random. Alot of them seem to be a number with .exe(599.exe for example), then sometimes it's a more troubling explorer.exe. My fresh windows is relatively untouched. I have only installed some audio drivers.

I should also mention that im having some annoying connection problems... it was a struggle getting this to you because my connection seems to cut on and off every few minutes. I dont believe this is a problem with my ISP, because prior to my reformat, it has been very consistant and reliable. I understand this is the XP section, and not connection, but I feel it's related to the reformat.

I havent been able to DL any windows updates yet, or video drivers, or anything really, because it keeps cutting out. Ive checked all the wires, etc.

Id really appreciate ANY input, and ASAP.

Advertisements

HOUSAKI

HOUSAKI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Id also like to point out that my CPU usage seems to be spiking ALOT(0-40% give or take.)

HOUSAKI

HOUSAKI

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I downloaded security task manager... 3 processes with 90%. I shut them down and my internet is fine, and my CPU isnt spiking. No errors. Is it really possible that I could have got some sort of malicious worm/virus/whatever after a reformat? Literally 2 seconds into a fresh desktop?!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Did you use a recovery CD or an OEM cd?
Is this a Dell, HP, etc?
Did you reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers?

Go to start...
Go to run...
Type in devmgmt.exe and click ok

Are there any ? or ! in there?

Run Everest from my signature.
Expand computer on the left
Click on summary.
On the top, go to report and then quick report summary.
Go to plain text.

Paste into your reply all the info down to Debug- PCI

Do not include anything below the debug - PCI line

123runner