Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop cooling pad?

• Please log in to reply

Rik111

Rik111

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
i recently bought an hp pavilion dv7 laptop from best buy. it's awesome!!... except that it's almost too hot to hold on my lap. scratch that it is :/

i've been looking around, and i can't seem to find many options for 17"'ers like mine in terms of cooling pads. i'd like one with a fan or 2, and one that actually fit my machine. i see all of these little ones, and with my style of typing, i'd knock the laptop right off the pad.

Belkin makes an alright one... http://www.itechnews...ling-lounge.jpg
... but it only comes in white, and my monster is dark chrome.

SO.... any ideas?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think this kind would be good. If you notice, the giant fan seems to have a guard so it won't hit you while you have it in your lap.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834995511 Chrome/Stainless Steel
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834995510 Black

Here is another decent one I thought...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834997420 It has fans, read the descriptions.

Here is all the ones Newegg offers...

http://www.newegg.co...=laptop coolers

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Just to throw these out there….

With fans: Evercool 17 In. Widescreen Notebook Cooling Pad

With out fans: ThermaPAK Laptop Cooling HeatShift Pad 17" – Black

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
thanks for the reply =]

i see a problem with your 2 suggestions... they're too small... they're only 15" where my laptop is 17" ... i know it still fits, but i want something that was made for it, not just compatible.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834997410 <--- that one would be good if it wasn't so obnoxious. i'm not a fan of the "look at me i'm a gamer" thing.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
both of them say 17" ?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

both of them say 17" ?

I think he is referring to my suggestions, I screwed up and didn't look at the size like I should have. However, if it works well and matches well, the laptop simply hanging over only an inch on each side wouldn't bother me personally.

You sound like you may be as picky as me when it comes to picking out components. In my experience, just keep looking, you'll know it when you see it.

Have you tried the coolers for sale on...

Performance-PCs
CrazyPC
Geeks.com

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

In my experience, just keep looking, you'll know it when you see it.

or make your own....shouldn't be too hard to cobble together some Plexiglas or plywood with some USB fans

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
HAHA, is that a shot at my current case modding hobby? Or just a coincidence? :) (See links in signature)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not specifically...but i would bet that you could make a really nifty cooler for cheaper than one could be bought...well...cheaper than a really nifty looking one at least....wouldn't be too difficult to make...just reverse engineer a "real" one....make sure the fans blow AWAY from the laptop....throw in some LEDs and other whatsits

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Maybe I'll give that a try. I have a couple other projects to complete first. I'm sorta taking my time with them :) I'll send ya a link if I ever do, we can have a good laugh over it because its probably going to turn out terrible. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
since we're talking cooling and slightly less than "professional" modifications

IMAG0012.jpg
IMAG0013.jpg

this machine is out on the plant floor....with an ambient room temperature of about 110f or so right now (averages between 125f and 150f during the middle of summer)....the proc was running at somewhere near 65c when i went out there to check on it....it had been sitting off for at least an hour or two...it had shut down because of the heat....so i stacked these two thermaltake usb fans on top and now the proc is running at 42c to 45c

just bolted the fans right through the top of the pc case

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:) Hey, whatever works. That is quite a temperature drop.

If you look at this video here of me modding a case...

I just tried filling in certain parts of the front with some "long-strand" fiberglass filler and I found out very quickly that I need short strand :) . That was about two minutes ago, I'm going to try and return the stuff and get something that is a little more easy to work with. I don't know how anyone could fill anything in with long strand. It would be like using your own hair to fill in a hole lol.

I need some sort of "strand" so it doesn't crack when the front bezel of the case is taking off or put on, or when I move the case.

What do you think of this idea...

We are so off topic LMAO :)