Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get windows Aero back

• Please log in to reply

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
if you have read my other post you will see that I'm having troubles with themes and such on my computer because of a theme that caused compatibility issues and it deleted the windows aero and windows vista basic themes from my computer what did this was a scan through command prompt the scan was sfc/scannow got to 86% before giving a error message and how to find some log.This now gives me problems with windows explorer and start menu especially and what I'm asking is not to fix this but how to get my effects back because I really like Aero though theres alot of negative stuff on it I like it.I tried using windows blinds(purchased) and whenever I try to click it windows blinds just go's down and when I apply another theme through windows blinds and try to hit aero it looks like its changing but it just reverts to windows classic.Is there any hope of getting my Aero back and having explorer work right?

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Vista Home Basic does not include the Aero theme. There are a few programs that emulate its glass effect but Basic does not include the theme by default.

Can you access safe mode?

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
oh sorry forgot to update my signature my native operating system is now Windows Vista Ultimate but my basic had sorta aero affects because dell was nice like that but anyways I'm talking about Ultimate I had Aero affects and a scan made by microsoft corrupted those files

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Boot the machine into safe mode, and run the sfc /scannow command.

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
okay I reply once more after I have done so

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
it still only got to 86% then created a log on why it failed

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Boot the machine into safe mode, and run the chkdsk /r command.

Once it has completed, boot into normal node and run the sigverif command.

Post any details about what it finds.

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
did not work it the scan took for three hours before I gave up and it wouldnt boot into windows.After all of this I ended up re-installing windows it cleared everything of my hard drive and I lost paid for songs and software