Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CAN I ACCESS SYS RESTORE FROM THE "RUN" COMMAND?

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I am working on an XP system that won't complete the boot process in regular or safe mode. I can open task mgr and also get to the run command, but don't know how to access system restore. The desktop will not load and device mgr shows no problems. Thanks

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I was told that if your computer cant boot in safe mode the recommended solution is to pre-order a copy of Windows 7.

Now, ive been searching around tring to find some reasons why normal mode doesnt function. And according to what im reading it says sometimes your cmos battery could be going bad.

hope this helps. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Ectech... :) Why would geno368 want to install Windows 7 when he has XP? He can continue with us to fix the problem, or he could have just as well re-installed XP again.

geno368
Are you getting any error messages?
How are you getting to task manager?

Have you tried a repair of XP with the CD?
Have you tried chkdsk /f/r from the recovery console?

If you can get to a command prompt, then you can get to the restore utility. How good are you with DOS commands?
The path is the following:
C:|windows\system32\restore....then type in rstrui.exe

123runner

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Ectech... Why would geno368 want to install Windows 7 when he has XP? He can continue with us to fix the problem, or he could have just as well re-installed XP again.

not sure on that one, just usually if device mgr is functioning and system restore isn't, thats a good indication Windows 7 is on its way. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can run, msconfig from the Run box in task manager and then select Launch System Restore... after the restore can you boot?

Answer 123Runner's questions as they will help us understand your issue better.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
System Restore not functioning could be a sign of an infection also.
I agree with 123Runner's suggestion to do a Repair Installation of XP.

To do so you will need to redo your boot sequence in bios by do the following and make sure your Xp installation disk is in the cdrom drive before verifying:

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks for all the help...this is my situation: I don't have his Acer XP disk. I wasn't able to get in safe boot for a while..it kept stopping in the system 32/mup...after several more tries, I now have it booted in safe mode with networking. Malware bytes finds no problems.

Are you getting any error messages? no
How are you getting to task manager? yes from safe mode

Have you tried a repair of XP with the CD? no cd
Have you tried chkdsk /f/r from the recovery console? no tell me how..from the run command I type this in?

If you can get to a command prompt, then you can get to the restore utility. How good are you with DOS commands? I did 2 system restores back to 2 months ago with same results

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe from a Run line launches System Restore, assuming C:\WINDOWS is your root directory.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try to install the Recovery Console: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216417
Then reboot your computer and choose Windows Recovery Console from the Startup list.
Choose your Windows installation, and enter the admin password. Then type in:
chkdsk /r
This may take a long time and DO NOT interrupt the process.

Most Acer computers have a recovery partition that you can access by pressing Alt+F10 when you see the Acer BIOS splash screen. Do you have any data that you want backed up? If so, do that now.