Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting

• Please log in to reply

roobyroob

roobyroob

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I want to completely wipe my computer but when I try to format the C drive, I get a message saying -

Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.

Could someone help me with this?

Thanks alot
Rachael

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
can you run chkdsk?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can't format C drive while you are in windows.
It must be done using your OS disk. You will need to change the boot sequence in bios.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Go Here for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh