Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled/Repaired XP but still getting erros and can't download

• Please log in to reply

speculator3m

speculator3m

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Reinstalled/Repaired XP multiple times but still getting errors. Errors such as "Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" , "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down." also random xxxx.exe. and xxxx.tmp error notices.

Can't get sp1a , sp2 or sp3 installed without errors. cant get windows update software to download.

What a mess. 7 year old XP box. 1GB ram new last year.

ran disk chk said no errors.

heeelp!:)

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
oh yeah ive seen one before. all ya gotta do is open the case of your computer and blow the dust out.

speculator3m

speculator3m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
seriously? :)

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
well sometimes depending on the chipset it could be the motherboard. id give her a good cleaning first. :)

speculator3m

speculator3m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

well sometimes depending on the chipset it could be the motherboard. id give her a good cleaning first. :)

lol ok I'll give it a shot right now.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
make sure to use compressed air.

speculator3m

speculator3m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

When you say clean, is there a specific way to do it? I vaccumed it out pretty good and cleaned the surfaces. Restarted XP and got same old "windows explorer has enountered aporblem and needs to shut down", and just now "kxduexf.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" errors.

edit oh I see your compressed air message now. Where do i get compressed air?

Edited by speculator3m, 27 June 2009 - 11:26 AM.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
it depends where ya live. id use good ol' google.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The system is booting up with no problems then? This is just a Internet Explorer issue?

Download Firefox from my signature below and try it. If the problem does not happen with it then you may have to update Internet explorer.

Also what was the reason for reinstalling OS system?
Did you do a full format and install or a repair installation?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
To me that has a slight hint of file infector

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post an OTListit and rooter Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post an OTListit log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That was where I was headed also Essexboy

Thanks for the stepping in as I'm always open to your suggestions and help.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No probs sir - it was the title that piqued my curiosity. Most of this stuff I leave to you guru's :)

speculator3m

speculator3m

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The system is booting up with no problems then? This is just a Internet Explorer issue?

Download Firefox from my signature below and try it. If the problem does not happen with it then you may have to update Internet explorer.

Also what was the reason for reinstalling OS system?
Did you do a full format and install or a repair installation?

I was getting error messages before I did the reinstall full format. I downloaded firefox and still getting error messages.

Although I agree internet explorer needs to be upgraded . But I can't do it until SP2 is installed. Same goes for windows update needs SP2.

Edited by speculator3m, 27 June 2009 - 12:40 PM.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

ran disk chk said no errors

what perimeters did u tell it?

have u cleaned the thing out?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Reinstalled/Repaired XP multiple times but still getting errors

I am curious. When you reinstalled and repaired did you do a complete format of the hard drive?
Did you have any problems/ messages/ hangups/ difficulty with the reinstall?

If the install went clean, then the next step would be the chipset drivers for the main board.
If you had install problems we can be looking at a bad CD or bad hard drive.

How dirty is the inside of the case? such as the fans? Usually dirty fans will create overheating which will create weird problems.
Are all the fans working?

123runner