Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Not Playing Nice With Win2000

• Please log in to reply

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I am having difficulties accessing the network share to my Windows 2000 printer [printer attatched via USB to Win2000 computer, shared among all computers]. Both computers are behind a router, and are on the same workgroup. My Vista machine did not have any problems accessing this printer or authenticating to Windows 2000, but Windows 7 seems to. The problem is when I go to connect to the PC, I am prompted for a username and password, but upon entering a valid one, it does not connect and comes back as invalid.

I attempted to navigate to the share manually through the "add pritner" device, but this did not work either. [Giving //computername/printer]

Any assistance would be great =), thank you.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Do all machine's use unique computer names?

Can you list some more information about the OS version?

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Do all machine's use unique computer names?

Can you list some more information about the OS version?

Using Windows7 RC1, build 7100 and Windows 2000 SP4 [as up to date as 2000 can be]. No difficulty sharing or authenticating on the LAN with any other OS, however my XP box does not prompt me for a password to authenticate myself before accessing the network share.

All machines use unique computer names, yes. There is no overlap.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
How about the win2000 machine, can it authenticate to the win7 system?

Edited by Ectech, 27 June 2009 - 11:15 PM.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

The Windows XP and the Windows 2000 machines can both authenticate themselves without problem.

But, I think I might have found a clue. The WinXP machine is not prompted for a Username\Psswd when connecting to Win2000, yet the Windows 7 one is. I may have cached or saved the credential information, or it is simply letting me through without it [XP -> Win2000], but I do not recall how to test for this.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Oh, sorry, when I said 2000 and XP could authenticate themselves, I meant they could both authenticate themselves with the Windows 7 machine.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Post a topic here | http://www.geekstogo...orking-f11.html

windows networking is beyond my knowledge.

Edited by Ectech, 28 June 2009 - 02:40 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Use the IP address instead of the computer name.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Use the IP address instead of the computer name.

If you read my previous comments, I am getting a connection to the machine fine, and seeing it, just it is authenticating using its own computer name as a domain, and will not accept credentials of a local-account on that system.

Typing in the IP address made absolutely no difference. Doing 192.168.1.xxx in the Windows Explorer navigation bar prompted for credentials, and as the same as double clicking on the workgroup computer, failed to authenticate when given valid information [login error: unknown username or bad password].

... Do I really need screenshots?

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Also note:

When typing in \\192.168.1.xxx\printername in Add Printer (under "Select a shared printer by name"), I get 0x0000052e error, which, if my Google skills are still up to snuff, is complaining about a bad username and password; meaning I need to auth myself to use the printer, which I can't seem to be able to do from any Network dialog, using credentials for a local administrative account on that computer