Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive noise in speakers

• Please log in to reply

tubanks7

tubanks7

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have been getting a constant static, almost white noise coming through my laptop speakers even when the volume is muted. Its like that harddrive sound is being magnified through my speakers, so i cant listen to music without having the static along with it. I am running vista on a gateway t6330u..any help would be appreciated. My audio card is SigmaTel High Def

Edited by tubanks7, 27 June 2009 - 12:34 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Very doubtful its the hard drive. It's usually either a problem with the speakers themselves, a loose connection or the speakers are picking up interference from the monitor or another source. Leaving cordless telephones next to speakers generates static, as does mobile phones.

I have known of monitors with built-in speakers acting as virtual radio receivers and therefore suddenly start picking up radio stations and what not that you can clearly hear if you crank up the volume. Source: My own monitor years ago that I now no longer have.

Has this just started or has it been ongoing?

tubanks7

tubanks7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i got it fixed but still not sure what was going on. I just switched from a selective startup i had done to the normal start up and it stopped. I obviously stopped a process on start up that was necessary but really not sure which one it was.