Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer build - Various problems!

• Please log in to reply

RGS83

RGS83

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Computer stats:
AMD Athlon x2 775 7750 Black Edition Dual Core 2.7Ghz.
Asus M3A78-EM AM2 (revision 1508 )
ATI Radeon HD 3200 (onboard video)
OCZ Reaper PC2-6400 3.25GB ram (4gig actual)
OCZ Stealth xstream 500w PSU
1Terabite Western Digital Caviar Green Sata (WD10EAVS)
Windows XP Pro Ver. 2002, SP2

I've had nothing but constant problems with this computer. When it was initally put together, it was upgraded to SP3, and that caused a whole other world of problems. Long story short, I tested all components (all work fine-seemed to work well after I pulled out & reinstalled the RAM, so may not have been sitting right), tested all SATA ports (all work fine), I managed a fresh format, updated up to SP2, and did many of the key windows updates, as well as all driver updates.

It was working fine until recently. I don't know what happened. In SAFE MODE I ran a virus scan, and Ad-Aware; nothing was found. It's running at a good temp. And the power supply is brand new with lots of power.

Here is the list of problems I'm currently facing:

-BIOS (and windows) won't recognize my DVD drive most of the time, (sometimes it does for no reason)
>It will work if I unplug it, and plug it back in. This only lasts a little while. I have tested it in different SATA ports, all give the same result.
>I have swapped drives twice just in case.

-VERY slow to load windows.
>Loads Express Gate without issue, but then...
>It spends a few minutes at the main Windows Boot screen (with the three little scrolling cubes)
>Slow to boot up actual windows once I select the 'user' ...there are very few programs in the startup (in MSCONFIG), and most where there before I started having these issues.

-Cannot install IE 8. I'm currently using IE 6, have done all the updates, and selected to install IE 8; it said it was successful, but it never updated!! I witnessed the download and extraction of the files.
> I restarted, thinking that it may just be required. When I did, the computer loaded past Asus Express Gate, then froze at a black screen with a flashing cursor. I waited a very long time, and after a few restarts, the computer loaded again.
> Checked windows update again, it shows that everything BUT IE 8 was installed. It says that IE8 has been downloaded, but not installed. I tried to install it again, and had the same result!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting tempted to contact ASUS, thinking that it may be their motherboard!!

Edited by RGS83, 27 June 2009 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

toughmotha

toughmotha

• Pip
  • 1 posts
enable to play yahoo pinacle can get to the room but would not let me in please help

RGS83

RGS83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bump, someone must have an idea on what todo!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 June 2009 - 08:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 June 2009 - 08:15 AM.

RGS83

RGS83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer RS-A3K2I8XGWYVH
Generator Ryan
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-07-02
Time 12:54

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name RS-A3K2I8XGWYVH
User Name Ryan

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2700 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 3328 MB
BIOS Type AMI (03/16/09)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics (700 MB)
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics (700 MB)
Monitor Compaq FP7317 [17" LCD] (CNN30901GG)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek HD Audio output

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 (931 GB, IDE)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 131068 MB (67204 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Logitech USB MouseMan Wheel+

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (192.168.1.103)

Peripherals:
Printer HP Deskjet F4200 series
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller [NoDB]
USB Device Logitech USB MouseMan Wheel+

RGS83

RGS83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Attached is the AutoRuns log.

I have also attached a Jpg. which has 2 Hardware monitor tests from 2 different dates (note the temp. difference)

As for doing the memtest as you suggested - it's not possible now, as one of my key problems is that my Cd/DVD drive/burner isn't recognized.
However, when I was having issues previously (prior to this install of windows), I ran memtest:

(as per the manual) I opened 2 tests, and had both running at the same time. There was only so much free ram each test could check, so I had each one check 1000mb of avail. ram. It's been runnning for about 45min. Both are at 125% (not sure how that happens), and have found Zero errors.

Attached Thumbnails

• Temp2.JPG

Attached Files

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I have also attached a Jpg. which has 2 Hardware monitor tests from 2 different dates (note the temp. difference)

Although the temps changed (became higher) over time, they are not critical.

Is this your mobo?: http://support.asus....;model=M4A78-EM
http://usa.asus.com/...amp;modelmenu=1

From the 1st link download the BIOS update... it may come with flashing instructions.
Otherwise look here: http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us
Your flasher is AFUDOS.