Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing MSN Gaming Zone, netmeeting, outlook express

• Please log in to reply

dmarklinger

dmarklinger

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After so many smart-[bleep] answers in this thread, one person earlier did recommend some freeware called UNLOCKER at http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ to try...and voila..it works. I got rid of that nasty 'msn gaming zone', and also 'microsoft frontpage' and 'outlook express'.
:)

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Outlook an MSN can be removed via the control panel\ add\remove programs. Although seeing how some files were already manually removed, i doubt the uninstall will go smoothly.

Edited by Ectech, 27 June 2009 - 08:23 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You don't use Unlocker to remove programs. Programs have to be uninstalled.
Outlook Express can not be uninstalled, since it's a part of Internet Explorer.

dmarklinger

dmarklinger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You're right of course: using either a specific program uninstall .exe OR ADD/REMOVE if they're listed there, is the way to go. This thread was started based on a program {or comments re similar programs} that cannot be uninstalled, either individually or by ADD/REMOVE. They're just orphaned files that cannot be deleted, and UNILOCKER frees them up to allow for this.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Also a lot of times you need to empty the folder before you can actually delete the folder on the orphaned files.

dmarklinger

dmarklinger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well boy, is my face RED now! :)
I had deleted the contents of the 3 files {MSN Gaming Zone, Outlook Express, and Microsoft Frontpage} as best I could, then unlocked them using that UNLOCKER utility, then deleted them. They were GONE.
After working several hours, then rebooting later, THEY'RE ALL BACK AGAIN! Two are 'there' but just empty folders, but Outlook Express has 12 members in it!
Must be a cache scenario in WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 like an earlier suggestion said?
Or ???
Who knows!
{I did try deleting those DLL's and the .exe's as described, earlier, but that hadn't worked either.}
Back to the drawing board!