Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Build a computer sites.

• Please log in to reply

Jaggeroth

Jaggeroth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was wondering, since I do not need a os or alot of other things, I was wondering if anyone had any good and trusted build a computer sites. The last computer I had was from a guy that built them to order on ebay and after that teen years mistake I wish not to repeat I was looking at getting one from a trusted dealer or site.

Anyone got any?

Thanks

-Jaggeroth.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Me of course... But where are you looking to buy? This is a forum with a world-wide audience. :)

Jaggeroth

Jaggeroth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I'm looking for atleast 4gb ram with 2 sata hard drive connections. A 250gb sata hard drive or more but it don't really matter. A duel core processor with a better than average graphics card. And a mother bourd and cpu that won't crap out on me. O and I don't need an os I have one still. Anyone.....anyone....

Edited by Jaggeroth, 28 June 2009 - 11:38 PM.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Me of course... But where are you looking to buy? This is a forum with a world-wide audience. :)

I believe Troy is asking "what part of the world are you intending to get this build done"? We have people from numerous countries posting here. Not much use if someone in Greece says he can build it, if you are in the US. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
As Octagonal has rightly mentioned, where are you? I can easily do any of that, as can a number of Tech Staff here who run their own business or work for a computer store.

Obviously we need to be careful here as this could easily be turned into a spam thread, but have you tried looking through your local advertising directory? That would be your best bet, along with some research on local business reviews. This thread would contribute to only a small part of that research, as you'd need contributors who are in the same local area as yourself, otherwise their posts would be useless.

The point remains the same for anyone reading this thread, though - find a local computer dealer in your area who is reputable, unless you are able to do the work yourself.

Cheers

Jaggeroth

Jaggeroth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well that is where the problems lays. I live in a small town in Nebraska and I did do the research. But the one person here that does any computer building wants way to much to assemble it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

But the one person here that does any computer building wants way to much to assemble it.

According to whom? It's funny, but even without seeing the prices I'm going to side with the assembler. I get way too many customers who waste my time basically wanting something done for nothing, always trying to cut down in price and even having the nerve to start having a go at me because of their computer problems. I have a job to do which needs to be able to make me a profit so I can feed the kids, plus cover the fact that I provide quality work and therefore stand by my work (i.e. warranty). The prices need to reflect this. If a customer starts trying to bargain with me I lose interest in them real quick - I always seem to have plenty of other work to do. I always try and give a good deal right from the beginning, and my long term customers know this.

Obviously then the other side of the equation is overkill, where the prices are just plain stupidly expensive, but without seeing those prices or knowing the full extent of the work required I can't really make a call here either way, just my comments based on experience.

When it comes down to it, I truly believe you get what you pay for.

Troy

Jaggeroth

Jaggeroth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I know when he wants 300 dollars just for labor when I can go and get a kit for that much.....Yeah I know hes ripping me off.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Have you given any thought to building it yourself. There are many sites that give you directions. We at Geeks to Go also have links and guides for building your own.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Troy has written an excellent guide on how to build your own computer, which is something I would highly consider. You will save money, and it is far less intimidating than one might think. Here is the link.

-mp

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to the system building forum.