Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows does not load.

• Please log in to reply

gooeeaa

gooeeaa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Help. My computer starts fine.
But when I click on my items on desktop, nothing happens.Nothing happens when I click on internet explorer and my antivirus server, or my computer. Nothing loads. Can someone help? Thanks. gooeeaa.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What happened before this problem started?
What security software do you use?
Do you have your Windows CD (or a re-installation or recovery CD)?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to boot in to Safe Mode and see if the issue happens there?

gooeeaa

gooeeaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a windows disc and a system restoration disc. I also have a Norton product. Should I use one of these discs before I try it in the safe mode? I had no problems before this. Also, when I go to the start menu and click on something it freezes. gooeeaa

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What Norton Product are you referencing?
If a Virus protection program I would suggest Avast as it is free and you can register it for updates. It updates usually once a day and at the end of the year just register it again for another year. Nothing like a free program that actually works as good if not better then the name brands.
You can get Avast from my signature below.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try safe mode first by tapping F8 and startup. This loads basic drivers and system operating software. If this works we could be looking at either a system restore to a previous time, a repair install, or something else.

This cpould also be virus/ malware related also, but we need to check other options first.

123runner

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Norton is a solid security suite and I have not had any problems with it... and I have not been infected in 5 years.

Check if the problem happens in Safe Mode: http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm

Can you open up Task Manager in normal mode? If so, then go to File -> Run...
And type in: msconfig
Then select Launch System Restore... and follow the prompt to restore your computer to a date when this problem didn't exist.

Edited by edge2022, 28 June 2009 - 12:29 PM.