Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Virus Scan

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
What is the best Virus scan someone can use?
What about the best free virus scan?
Am I better off using the Virus scan that my college provides me (symantec norton) or AVG?
Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What is the best Virus scan someone can use?

This is a matter of personal preference on the individual you ask. :)

What about the best free virus scan?

Avira
Avast

Both of which you can get HERE

Am I better off using the Virus scan that my college provides me (symantec norton) or AVG?

Personally I believe these are both resource hogs and can potentially slow your system down.

Thanks

Just a FYI a rule of thumb to follow is one each of the following.

Antivirus
Malware protection
Spyware protection
Firewall

In the case of a AV if you run more then one you run the risk of false positive reports and potentially conflict within your system by running two constantly active programs.
I hope this helps answers your questions and if you need further information please ask. We will be happy to assist. :) :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

. I assume this means you have a choice.
If that is so, I would either do Avira or Avast as recommended. AVG and Norton and McAfee are resource hogs. Why use them when the free ones work great.