Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot boot in Safemode; Recovery Options questions

• Please log in to reply

blackbear

blackbear

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! I have emachines T5048A, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Boot up says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully." We had a virus last week, but had ran malwarebytes and superxxx and it was cleaned. PC was working fine, but tried to run a game off cd and got the problem. Probably, turned off system restore and had not turned it back on again.

Tried Last Known, Safe Mode... didn't work (displays things to screen but stops after ...\system32\drivers\agpcpq.sys). Did F11 to start Recovery. Brings up PC Angel. Not sure what this is. Get Hard Disk preparation, Copying Files... on left side of window and says to "Insert System Restore CD#1 now." Was afraid this might reformat my drive, so turned off machine.

Inserted XP Media Center CD. Got R off recovery partition and Q off hard disk. Q not work. R brings up PC Angel again, so shut off PC. Tried off cd again, get "Press R to display Emachines Recovery options (counts down to 321)." Then displays, "Press F11 to start Recovery." Then, brings up the "Windows error, boot safemode options...". Shut off machine as not sure what to do.

Booklet from emachines says F11 should give Full System Restore (Destructive) and Full System Restore with Backup, but with Backup mode would have to reinstall all the programs. Backup mode is a possibility, but I seem to recall being able to reinstall Windows (like a repair of the files) on our old machine and I didn't lose the programs or the data, but I can't figure out how to do that on this machine. Or, did I lose that ability when I picked the F11 recovery console? What do I do?

Thanks!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try a repair installation... a tutorial is here: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

blackbear

blackbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! I don't get the "press any key" text. Only the "Press R to display Emachines Recovery options (counts down to 321)." Then displays, "Press F11 to start Recovery." Then, brings up the "Windows error, boot safemode options...". Shut off machine again as not sure what to do.

The disk is labeled "Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2 Operating System Disk."

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
In this article: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html
Scroll down to the section Configuring Your Computer to Boot From CD. Then follow the directions there to set your boot order so that the CD comes first. Does your computer have a floppy drive?

blackbear

blackbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! It is booting off CD. It just doesn't bring up the blue screen with the "normal" text/prompts. It seems like emachines thought they were being helpful by giving us the PC Angel recovery system instead of standard Windows?

The pc doesn't have a floppy drive.

I ended up doing the F11 that brought up PC Angel for the emachines system recovery and inserted Disk 1 and Disk 2 thinking I would do the backup option, but new problem is it doesn't ever ask for disk 3 (repeats the insert disk 1 dialog.) My brother bought the same PC. Left him a message and will see if his disks work.

I tried rebooting off CD and still get the F11 to PC Angel option. Not Press any key. So, nothing has really changed.

Thanks.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you were booting off a CD, then a prompt like, "Press any key to boot from CD" would come up.
Recheck the boot order in your BIOS, and if you want attach a picture. Make sure that you save the settings when you exit the BIOS.

blackbear

blackbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! My brother cannot find his emergency repair disks. I cannot find how to make another set of the Emergency Repair Disks off his machine? When we bought the PC's they would have been the same, but I know he has a different printer and different software loaded, so I'm not sure if I could use his disks anyway? I did backup up his \windows32\repair folder, but I'm thinking this is machine specific and I wouldn't be able to use it?

I rechecked the BIOS boot order and it is CD first. That is why it is wierd to me, also, that I am not getting the "Press any key to boot" prompt. I was wondering if it is because I started the PC Angel recovery mode?

It seems like I will need to either reinstall Windows where I will probably lose everything? Or, I wondered about taking the drive out and making it a slave on an old Windows Server 2000 machine? As I have not done this, I will need to find some instructions.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I would suggest that prior to continuing that you slave it to another computer to get the data. You mentioned a win 2000. That will be fine, but you may have to set the drive jumpers to M (master) and S (slave). The maste, or win 2000 drive is on the end of the cable and the E machine is the slave (in the middle).

Try it first without changing any jumpers.

According to what I found the PC Angel is a backup and recovery tool

Advantages

- Allows for a complete recovery of the PC without any data loss for
the customer
- One-button, easy-to-use recovery interface
- Universal O/S support
- Quick 15-minute Unattended Setup
- Restore CD/DVD
- Multiple Language Support
- Space-saving
- Secure
- Implemented Hotkey Bootloader