Ok everyone. I think I need to sum this up because the newcomers are not reading the posts and information supplied.
1. Two antivirus scanners running (and he only has 1 active) will only cause false positives. They will not keep the OS from booting.
2. The Op has installed another XP os on the same hard drive and it is booting and operating fine.
3. A check disk was run on the drive and even though I believe it found some errors, it did not resolve the booting problem.
4. A hard disk failure (or eminent failure)would also be creating issues with his "new" OS.
5. The Op can not get into safe mode long enough to run a sfc /scannow on the system file. Because it reboots prior to loading all the way.
6. The problem is not heat related because the "new" windows runs fine.
7. The computer rebooted during his scan could be that there was a power surge which caused it to reboot. We will never know.
I am suspecting a possible virus taking out the boot cfg or boot.ini (or similar).
There could be a corrupted driver in the old OS, but I doubt that because the new OS would be using the same drivers. Also safe mode loads basic drivers and it does not work either.jsaklas
, If you want to run Western digitals drive diagnostics to eliminate a drive failure, we can do that. At Western Digital Diagnostics
you would want to use the 5th one down for bootable floppy and the 6th one for bootable CD. For the CD it would create an iso file. You can then use Burncdcc from my signature to burn it to the CD. It is a no frills program. Quick and dirty.
I am also tempted on sending you to the Malware Forum
to see if they can find any virus on the computer. You can start with Malware and Cleaning Guidejsaklas
... Do not due a complete format of the entire drive till we either resolve this or get your data. Also...NEVER
run a registry cleaner as was once suggested.
Welcome to the party Rshaffer61. I could use your help/thoughts on this.
Since we can not get into safe mode, a system restore can not be done, nor can we stop the "restart" so we can get a blue screen and the stop codes.
Edited by 123Runner, 30 June 2009 - 08:49 PM.