Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I can get into c:\windows\system32\dllcache in Norton Commander, but Norton only allows me to run programs that are in the chosen sub-directory. msconfig.exe is not in dllcache. Where can I find msconfig.exe to copy it into dllcache so that I can execute it.

J.

Edited by jsaklas, 01 July 2009 - 04:45 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Note: A search on my computer found msconfig.exe in the following areas.
C:\windows\servicepackfiles\I386 Try this
C:\windows\system32\dllcache
C:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$ Try this

try the other 2
also try as just msconfig leaving off the .exe

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

msconfig is not any either of the other two folders. Dropping the .exe does not work.

HOwever, I found, via the Search tool, msconfig.exe in 2 other folders: Windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries and in Window2/pc............etc.

I can copy this into the dllcache folder and try to run it. Is that OK?

J.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have we run diagnostics on the drive yet? Since it did have corrupted sectors on it I believe was stated before, that can very easily blow up the first Windows install and have the 2nd be working just fine.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
diabillic,

Based on Post 36, I did not run the drive diagnostics, also chkdsk found nothing.

Which diagnostic do you recommend? Remember I can not boot up in any fashion into the original windows.

J.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Copy it to the dllcache and then try that. Thats a good idea. Our main objective is to get into the msconfig of the old windows.

I have another idea if that does not work (it should). The idea is to go thru the start...run...cmd.....and then use the dos commands to get to the old windows.
I can give more detail later if needed.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I copied and ran the msconfig program, I got the System COnfiguration Utility Window.

It has 6 tabs: General SYSTEM.INI WIN.INI BOOT.INI Services Startup

What do I do next?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything or click on disable all
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services This is a little check box near the bottom. After you put a checkmark in the box, go into the main window and uncheck everything (or disable all) and restart

On restart you will get a pop up that (something to the effect) of a configuration change. Do not worry about this because we are in test mode.
Actually we hope you get this far. Pray

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I fear the worst. Even though the msconfig was run out of WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE I fear that it system config window that came up pertains to the running OS, i.e. the new one in WINDOW2.

Is there a way of checking this?

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I said what I said in the previous post because there was only one program in Start Up and ALL the Services were MS, so when I clicked on Hide ALL MS Services, nothing was left on the screen.

Lastly, when you said to shut down and restart do you mean in the original or in the new XP?

Edited by jsaklas, 01 July 2009 - 05:49 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I believe you are correct that the msconfig belongs to the running OS. With no services, I would bet on it. Thats not what I was expecting.

We can try going thru start....run....type in cmd and hit enter.
This will bring up a similar window. Use the dos commands again to get to the c:\windows\system32\dllcache>msconfig.exe
Unfortunately I think we will get the same results.

And now that I think about it again, we may have got what we saw because with the OS not running, there will be no services or startup programs running.

I believe we need to try recovery console again and use the bootcfg or bootcfg/rebuild.

Need to wait on Rshaffer61 for this one.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I'm at the office today, so I will not be back at my semi-broken machine until 6:00 pm.

Looks like we hit another road block - this is frustrating. But we'll see what RShaffer61 says. Are you pm-ing him or shall I?

(Up and about at 5:37 am?)

J.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am monitoring the progress jsaklas.
Runner123 is very good at what he does and him and I assist each other alot on here.
If you have followed his suggestions and still nothing I'm believing that what we need to do is migrate everything to the good new xp installation and then everything should be ok.
I will continue to monitor everything. There may be another tech from time to time to step in as we all help each other. I did want to ask if you understood what I meant about netscape and firefox and netscape mail and thunderbird back in post
#43?

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer61,

Thanks for your efforts. If, as it appears, that I can not recover the original XP (although with 123Runner's and your help, I will keep trying) and I have to migrate everything to the new XP, I have questions on the new XP. The new XP is from the Dell XP that is on my daughter's computer. I am being prompted to register within 26 days. Will this XP self-destruct if I don't register it. Why is registering necessary? what does it do for me? Is a key all I need to register? There is a handwritten key number on the sleeve. I assume it is correct for that CD.

However, I ran a keyfinder program and it found only one XP key and it is different from the one written on the sleeve. I don't know what to do. Would either key "work?" Is the DELL XP going to be a problem because it must be somehow linked only to a DELL machine? Should I purchase a completely new XP (They are about $80-$120 online.) Can I completely uninstall the original XP once I get the new (DELL or other) installed and have migrated all I can from the old?

Thanks again for all your efforts.

J.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The Dell Xp is married to the Dell system. It legally can not be put on another system.
If you have Win Xp on your system originally then you can use any Win XP of the same type Home or Pro from a friend as long as it is not on a name brand system as in preloaded.
If you have the original key code that was on your system then you can reload it at this point.
Due to the fact the software you state you do not have the disks for will make this alittle harder but it can be done.
The XP won't self destruct as you state but it will not function after the 26 days.