Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I'll be off until about 9:00 pm, I'll start looking for that XP HOme.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK before we do that another Tech and I have discussed this and this i believe will be the answer to alot of problems.
Follow these steps and let's see if we can fix this problem.

transfer the settings/documents from the broke install over to the working install
copy data files, documents, emails, bookmarks, favorites to new install of IE, Firefox, Netscape, Thunderbird

If the programs you have that are important you paid for then you should be able to get a legit\legal key from the company themselves.

Once the above is done and you have verified everything is working on the new working xp then we can proceed to remove the old boot.ini entry for the corrupted windows.

Now the question is the key finder key you have is that for the Home XP that was originally installed on your system?
If so then I'm believing what you installed as the new working XP is the Dell XP correct?

If this is the case then if I can offer a suggestion. If you have a free HD that you can install a fresh new XP home on with your keyfinder key and make sure it is registered and activated.
Then slave your original drive to the new hd and do the above steps with data and documents I suggested.
Then once that is working and only then We can format your existing drive and then clone the new working and verified xp with all your data back to the original drive.
Everything should then be just as it was. I realize this is alot to understand but if something is unclear please ask and we will take it one step at a time .

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer61,

I'm on the machine and I will start this new procedure in about 15 minutes.

J.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and I will continue to monitor this topic as well as Runner123 will I'm sure. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Rshaffer....question?

Why don't we take the key that he found with keyfinder and use it to change the key that is in his "Dell XP" windows that is working? The instructions are in post 68 that I found on the Geeks to Go forum. Once the key is changed and activated then we know we have a good install.

I would proceed as follows if we confer on changing (attempt to change) the key.

1. Have jsaklas do as instructed (move everything ans make sure it functions).
2. Change the key.
3. Activate windows to be sure it is a good install and passes windows genuine advantage.

Link to changing key http://www.geekstogo...ber-t34250.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That will work also hopefully. I have no problems with that except that we would need to make sure the Dell installation is on no other system at the same time.

Then if everything is working and verified, WGA checks out ok, updates are working correctly. I would then say move copy or reinstall the programs that OP has the installation disks for. Then copy or move the data over.
Change boot.ini file to boot to only the good installation and then double check everything.
The problem as I stated above is that the generic disk is a copy and I'm positive that is a problem with installation.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer61,

Thanks for your patience and diligence.

I just finished copying the Documents and Settings Folder into a new folder I created (C:\TEMP). It took quite a while since is was over 10 gigs.

I did not know exactly what you meant when you said,

transfer the settings/documents from the broke install over to the working install

Both the original and working XP are on the C drive. There is no partition on my C drive, i.e. everything is on the C drive. Also, I wasn't sure if you meant for me to copy it or to cut and paste, so I copied it.

copy data files, documents, emails, bookmarks, favorites to new install of IE, Firefox, Netscape, Thunderbird

Yesterday I copied (burned) my data files, and documents to a DVD. I also copied the bookmarks from the Mozilla backup files to the C:\Temp folder. I did not reload Firefox, because the original works fine, but with no old bookmarks. To check on the process I imported my old bookmarks to the Firefox that is running and they imported perfectly.

I do have a question. In my old system, once it booted, a page came up on which the user would select who was on, i.e. myself, the wife and the 2 daughters. On the new (DELL) XP it boots directly to the desktop. I assume, since the docs and settings, has folders for all 4 of us, that if we can resurrect the original XP, we will get the choice page and could import all bookmarks, etc. to each of us.

While copying, I received numerous error messages, most were while copying from \MY NAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5, and some from \LocalService.NT AUTHORITY\ Most of the error messages were something about could not find the folder in the C:\TEMP folder. This makes no sense to me. I initiated the copy at the highest folder lever, i.e. I copied the whole Documents and Settings folder. However, since they are in a temp internet folder, I assume they are of little importance.

I will now copy the emails that were stored on this computer in local email folders.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
sorry for jumping in,

what exactly do you mean by

Both the original and working XP are on the C drive. There is no partition on my C drive, i.e. everything is on the C drive

do you have 2 program files and 2 windows folders next to each other ?

i would change the name of the temp folder you created to your name (eg. john or whatever your name is)

the one user is just you, you will have to create new accounts for others

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
The operational windows he has is from his daughters Dell XP. He used her CD to install another windows. That is what we are talking about when we say Dell XP. That is what he is using next to his corrupted one.

The good windows (Dell XP) installed and did not ask him for the key. It is not activated yet.

He can attempt to change the key prior to activation and use the key he found with keyfinder. Hopefully it will be a good one.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
yes i know, i've been following,

the install must have been to the same partition, so there will be duplicate files and folders - a bit of pot luck in deleting the 'bad' copy will be needed,

if this is indeed the case then a total format and reinstall is what i would do,

(i'm going back to watching)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It seems when he did the Dell Installation what he succeeded in doing was a parallel installation.
If we move everything over to the new installation then in theory everything should work fine.
As I stated before my concern is the Dell Installation being on two systems at one time.
This is illegal and if the original keyfinder key does work then I would think everything would be legal again. Some cleanup will have to be done as I'm sure the Dell Installation probably loaded programs not needed by this system.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Every helper,

The search for prefs.js resulted in about 30 files. Oddly, none of them seemed recent enough. HOwever, I did copy to TEMP much of the Profiles folders.

hawklord, Thanks for the observation. I changed the name of C:TEMP and yes, I loaded the Dell XP into the same sector as the corrupted one. (Mainly because, being ignorant, I was not sure what a sector was, and thinking it may mean partition, I said, when prompted, to put the new XP into Sector 1, but into a folder names WINDOW2.)

I'm now at rhsaffer61's instructions to remove the old boot.ini You asked,

Now the question is the key finder key you have is that for the Home XP that was originally installed on your system?
If so then I'm believing what you installed as the new working XP is the Dell XP correct?

I don't know for certain. I ran keyfinder.2.0.1 and it came up with an XP key (RCBFG........). I assume this my original XP's key. On the cover of my daughter's Dell XP is a different hand written key (HYMBK............), I assume that it is for her XP.

Indeed, yes, the new and working XP is the Dell XP.

I have an old external HD; I've found the cable that goes to a USB port, but I can't yet find the power cable.

I'll keep looking.

J.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
NO luck on finding the power cable.

I have a 4 gig memory stick - is that sufficient.

J.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I have not been successful in finding the power cord to my external HD. I have a power cord to an old Sony Laptop, the label says that is has Output +/- 5V -/1.5 amp, +12v - /1.5 amps. The Maxtor external HD does not say what the input power should be.

Consequently, what can I do next, should I proceed with 123runner's post # 80?

J.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm still concerned that you are having a Dell XP on two systems at the same time.

Let me ask if there is any way possible to borrow a XP of the same type that was originally on your system?
We are teetering on copyright infringement with continueing .
I would feel alot better if we could just copy everything to that external drive as far as data, email and browsers
That way we know it is a true legal installation.