Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Quart_Knee13

Quart_Knee13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I think I deleted everything on my computer & reinstalled Windows XP, but I am not sure that everything was deleted on it. Is there any way for me to tell? When I turn on my computer it asks what operating system do you want to use? Windows XP or Windows XP? Not sure if that means that Windows XP is on it twice? Please help! Thank you, Kourtney

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If its asking you which OS to use after you reinstalled XP, then no you did not format.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Here for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

Quart_Knee13

Quart_Knee13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Is there any way to delete 1 of the Windows & not the other? I don't want to loose some stuff.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds more like your boot.ini file has a second entry for windows bootup.

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

Now you can repeat the steps to get back to step Number 4
I will reply with the Fix to do. Once the fix has been applied then Save and Close the file.
Reboot and let me know if this takes care of your problem

Below you will see a sample of a Windows Professional boot.ini file. Yours will look the same except it may say Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Sample Boot.ini File

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect