Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried to set up Vista AND xp but now won't boot

• Please log in to reply

love_child40

love_child40

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
So I was getting annoyed with Vista on my computer that I got from my brother, so I thought the safest route would be to have xp on the side with vista so I could boot from either. On vista, I went to Computer Manager And created around a 40 Gig segment for xp, and left about 100 G for vista on my hardrive. When I rebooted to install xp, it didn't find the partition. I went back to vista and set the 40 Gig segment as allocated and tried the xp cd again. It found it, I told it to use the empty segment as a partition and it put the files on there. Now, when I restart the computer, it says errors loading operating system.

Advertisements

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
now windows has a built in feature called vista loader known as boot manager if you install a OS it detects it and it should show up in boot manager now the problem might be your diretorys.Are all the directorys going to the right place?

love_child40

love_child40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
How would I check that? All I could use right now seems to be a windows xp cd while it wouldn't pull up a menu to select an operating system. It will, turn on and show Compaq, it will check for cd, then it will say error loading operating system after that.

Edited by love_child40, 28 June 2009 - 09:26 PM.

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
well did you install windows on the partition or did you just put the files on the partition? and can you boot into vista?

poll325 simon

poll325 simon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi did you put xp on first with windows you have to put the older os on first

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
that isnt so