Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply

Calcul8

Calcul8

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok so I have a big problem and Im hoping someone on here can help me out. Yesterday I came home to find the most unbelievable problem. I never really turn off my computer, partly because I like it to be on when I get there, and also because Im usually downloading somthing, or encoding video or somthing. Now last week my cooling fan started to become noisy. I havent had the time to replace it yet. So whie I was out (here comes the unbelieveable part) my Dad was home and annoyed by the sound. So he decides to do somthing about it. Since my computer is password protected he cant shut it down so he just plugs it out! Lucky for me he pluged out the power bar nd not the computer itself from the bar. Then he decides to open then computer and try to dust off the fan with a paint brush! not only did he do this to my fan on the case but also to the fan/heatsink over the CPU. then he puts it back together. I would like to point out that my Dad has no computer repair ability and I have no idea WHY he thought this was a good idea. So now when I try to turn on my computer it goes half way through the boot up and then shuts off like its lost all power. But the light on the mother board is still on so I know there is still power. I checked inside to see if anything got disconnected but found nothing. Any help with this will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

So now when I try to turn on my computer it goes half way through the boot up and then shuts off like its lost all power

When does your computer black out exactly? (after the BIOS screen, after the Windows boot screen?)
Do any fans stop running after it blacks out?
And when you just boot up your computer, are all the fans running?

Calcul8

Calcul8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It blacks out right before the windows boot screen if I leave it for a while. All fans are running normally while it is on but then they all shut down when the computer blacks out. The second time in a row it shuts off sooner, and sooner each time I try it. By the forth time it starts for about 5 seconds then poof it shuts off. The very first time I turn it on it will actually get to the screen where it asks me if I want to start windows normally.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So what you are saying is that everytime you try to boot up your computer, the time that it takes for the blackout (and for the fans to go off) keeps getting shorter, right?
If you need data to be pulled off the hard drive, then you can slave it to another computer, or you can buy a hard drive enclosure. Ask your dad if he actually put his body (any part... like his hands) on a component of your computer (like the motherboard)

Lucky for me he pluged out the power bar nd not the computer itself from the bar

You mean he plugged out the power strip instead of the power cord from your computer (from the strip)?

Try booting with a minimal system... remove all expansion cards (PCI, PCI-E, AGP, sound cards) take out all your hard drives, use only one stick of RAM.