Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help picking a gaming laptop

• Please log in to reply

beelzebelle

beelzebelle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
There are few things I understand about computer hardware. In fact, really the only thing I sort of do is RAM and hard drive memory. haha. But, All I really want it to be able to do is play World of Warcraft at 40+ fps with all the settings cranked and be able to do 25 mans and battlegrounds with a decent frame rate even while playing music, and possibly having a few other apps open and a 17" display. I considered the M17 from alienware with no extra features except 3 gigs but thought of finding something of better value. All the options have left me completely lost though. These are what else I have considered,
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218095152438
http://www.ibuypower...or.aspx?mid=330 (with 4 gigs)
http://www.cyberpowe...-7500_Notebook/

I would like to know which of these are of the best value, and if you recommend any laptops.
It'd also be nice to know if I'm even anywhere on the right track in picking a computer -_-.
and sorry for being a complete retard when it comes to computers.
thanks ^_^

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

sorry for being a complete retard when it comes to computers.

Then everyone has been one at one point or another - and many computer users still are. The smart ones ask questions before jumping in! :)

I would like to know which of these are of the best value, and if you recommend any laptops.

Here's my take on this. Regardless what anybody, or any maker says, notebooks do NOT make good gaming machines. They may be able to pack the horsepower in there, but big power means lots of generated heat and big cooling requirements and that's not possible in small cases with one or two tiny fans. A comparable PC will likely have at least three large fans (one on top of the CPU, one inside the PSU, and one case fan in back). And gaming PCs typically have several big 120mm fans moving massive volumes of cool air through the case. Many newer PC cases support larger fans, with 250mm (10 inch!) fans starting to appear. There will typically be a decent size fan just for the graphics card, and perhaps a chipset fan on the motherboard too.

Setting aside the heat "extraction" issue for a moment, notebook fans do draw air through the case. But that means they also draw in dust, dander, smoke and other crud and contaminants too. ALL computer interiors require periodic cleaning. That means notebooks require a proper cleaning of heat trapping dust too. For PCs, I recommend inspecting monthly, and cleaning when dust bridges the heatsink fins. But notebooks don't have an ATX Form Factor standard, or easy access side panel so notebook makers use proprietary parts. Technically, there is no reason notebook makers can not design in and include easy access ports for cleaning critical components - but they won't. In the competitive rush to claim bragging rights for the thinest, lightest notebook with the longest battery life, the big notebook makers ignore physics, forget that heat is the bane of all electronics, and use proprietary parts because they look and feel nice. Proprietary on this scale means fewer options and greater costs to the consumer, and more profit for the big makers.

Of course motherboard makers don't want their CPUs to burn up and Intel and AMD care if their products burn up so mobile CPUs in notebooks go into self-protect mode when temperatures get to high - that is, they toggle down clock speeds so they don't generate as much heat so the tiny fans can (hopefully) catch up. Clock speeds slowing down in the middle of a game is not usually something gamers like to see.

Until the notebook industry comes up with form factor standard similar to the PC's ATX standard, one that allows for the normal user to do required cleaning, I recommend unless you absolutely MUST have portability, get a PC.

As for the products you mention - I have never heard of Xplorer or Battalion computers but if you look at the images and follow the specifications link on the Cyberpower site, you will see both are simply re-branded MSI MS-1722 Notebooks. That's not a bad thing - MSI makes good stuff. There's no doubt Sony makes good products, but they tend to be expensive, and I personally stopped being a Sony fan when they initially tried to deny they were dumping rootkits on consumer's PCs.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I have a fujitsu siemens AMILO XI3650 "desktop replacement" laptop , , ,p8600 core 2 duo running at 2.4ghz with 4gb of ram running at 1066mhz , two 500gb hardrives, a bluray multifunction drive and a beautiful 18.4" brilliantview screen. Also has an nvidea m 9600GT hybrid graphics

I cant praise it highly enough, , its a real beast, , , have a look on thier website, , am sure you will be impressed , ,its as good as both of my quad core machines !

http://uk.ts.fujitsu...o_xi_3650.html#

Edited by rxkevco, 29 June 2009 - 03:28 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, that link does not want to work right for me. This one does - http://uk.ts.fujitsu...lo_xi_3650.html

18.4" display and 3.6 kg (8 lbs) - wow! - that's not your typical notebook, certainly not for the frequent traveler. And that's with just one drive too.

Keep an eye on your temperatures and try to keep it free of dust. I typically recommend using a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply too.

beelzebelle

beelzebelle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

As for the products you mention - I have never heard of Xplorer or Battalion computers but if you look at the images and follow the specifications link on the Cyberpower site, you will see both are simply re-branded MSI MS-1722 Notebooks.

that explains why no one knew those brands. I actually found them in PC Gamer magazine ad, but thanks for explaining. prior to reading the responses i have already decided to go with a desktop and will be having a friend of mine knowing much more about computers help me pick parts and put it together. (shall be a good learning experience) :)

thanks guys.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

having a friend of mine knowing much more about computers help me pick parts and put it together.

The best kind. Pay particular attention to the case standoffs. Cases are made to support 1000s of motherboards so there are always more mounting holes than the motherboard supports. And get a good power supply from a good maker.