Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mysterious error at shutdown & booting

• Please log in to reply

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Greetings to all!

This strange error just appeared a few days ago, after an automatic Windows self-update, or some sort. Every time (and yes, when I say "every time", I mean "every time") I shut down my Windows, I get a warning about EAXmodule is not responding, and do I want to immediately close it, or return to Windows. Of course, I want to shut down my computer, so I choose "Close it now". Windows starts to shut down alrighty, but extremely slow...and the shut down progress halts at the very last screen (Windows shutting down), and the computer will not shut down at all. I have to force-shut down with the power button.

This was the first half of the problem. It gets even better! When I start my computer again, the boot progress immediately halts at the VERY start (when your BIOS type is written out, your CPU type, and the yellow ENERGY is displayed on the top right corner, so I assume you get the idea, when my computer halts). And not just freezes or such...it COMPLETELY halts. I mean, I can't enter the BIOS setup, and cannot activate any other keys which are offered (F9 or F12 or any other keys). If I want to use the computer, I need to push the reset button.

Surely this is not a critical error, but it's rather disturbing, and as far as I'm aware, it's not good for my computer. My notebook was stolen by some filthy gypsy lowlife, so this is the only computer I have now...which means, I cannot afford to lose it. Is there some kind of solution to eradicate this problem? I would be very grateful for any help I get. Not sure,but this EAX problem, the shutdown halt, and the booting-halt should have somethin' common, they've appeared together in the same time. But I'm confused...EAX is (probably) related to my sound card, and I don't see the reason why a sound card would cause the whole system to crash, especially at boot-up, where sound card isn't used at all. The sound card of mine is workin' fine anywayz. No spyware, virus, or other kind of malicious software was detected.

I just obtained a portable internet (web'n'walk stick). Could this be the cause of the problem?

My system configuration is the following:
-----------------------------------------

AMD Athlon ×2 Dual Core processor 6000+
500 GB Samsung HDD
2 GB RAM memory
GeForce GTX 8800 Ultra video card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card
Windows XP Service pack 3

Additional programs:
--------------------
NOD32 Antivirus
Spybot Search & Destroy
Uniblue SpyEraser
Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC 3

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
A little bit of searching come up with a couple possibilities.

y'ur not gonna believe what the problem was !!! The registration application!!! Yes, I answered "remind me in two weeks".

And...

it really turned out to be my USB2 external DVD which is sofa-side at the end of 2 active, one passive extensions and a 7 port USB2 hub.... if I de-activate the dvd drive, shut down works fine.... go figure!

So the portable web and walk stick could be causing a conflict. Remove it and see what happens.

If you think its a MS update, visit the site and click on "review your update history". In there it will tell you the updates that have been done.
Get the KB number and then into add/remove and look for the update. Make sure you check "show MS updates" at the top. If its listed, then you can uninstall it and see what happens.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thank you for your kind help. I check it out, and see if it works. :)

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
You were right! The web'n'walk stick caused the problem! Huh...now that I found that out, I'll sleep a lot better (I was afraid of some kind of hardware failure).

Note to self: NEVER leave the web'n'walk stick plugged into the computer, or it'll cause a system crash.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Has to be a conflict with drivers or the IRQ's.

Thanks for letting us know about the weirdness of MS.

tomatolord

tomatolord

• Pip
  • 2 posts
you may want to check the software causing the problem for a fast shutdown feature or some such.

sometimes software is trying to do something like write a log or "disconnect" the hardware or some such event while the computer is trying to shutdown.

This causes a conflict and the program errors out.

we had to put in a check in our software that if windows was trying to shutdown wait x amount of time to write the log, when the time is reached then quit gracefully, even if you have not written the log.

Think of walking out the door and giving the I am leaving in 1 minute and then actually leaving, that is what windows does.

Tomatolord