Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp with external usb network card, router, & no local coon

• Please log in to reply

Matsmyn

Matsmyn

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am trying to get my handicapped sister wireless intenet access. The main computer in the home runs on Vista and has a Belkin Router. Her system in an older Windows XP, that we bought a Belkin USB external networking card for. Card has been installed and the computer shows it as installed and working but we cannot connect to internet. NO LOCAL CONNECTION. I have tried just about everything I can think of...any suggestion?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Matsmyn and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Can you give us the model of the belkin router and also of the Belkin USB external networking card?

Matsmyn

Matsmyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Belkin Router is g Wireless - #F5D7234-4 V3

Belkin Enhanced N150

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
On the router, are you getting any lights on the "wireless" LED?
Your Router

Is the other computer that is using the router able to get to the internet?

The USB adapter requires XP with SP 2. What SP are you at?
Is the LED on the adapter lit? Does it show any activity (does it flash)?
Did you install the software before you attached the adapter to the laptop? For XP this is on page 14.
If you followed the entire procedure, you should have a desktop icon and an icon in the tray near the clock.
Manual for the USB adapter

Matsmyn

Matsmyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The router is working fine as is the main computer. The computer we are trying to make wireless is a desktop and I have a suspicion that it does not have SP2. How do I go about getting that installed if internet access is not available to that computer?
)You icon looks EXACTLY like what I have looked like for the past three weeks trying to get these computers set to go. :))
The software seemed to install without any problems.

Thanks for the link to Belkin.

Edited by Matsmyn, 30 June 2009 - 05:49 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
To check for SP 2....
Go to Start
Right click on My Computer
Then go to properties. It will list under system what you have.

XP Service Pack 2

You can download it to another computer and save it. Put it on a cd and then take it to the other computer to install.

Matsmyn

Matsmyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is it possible to save it to a jump drive?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I believe the file is less than a gig

Matsmyn

Matsmyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I downloaded SP2 to my home desk top that already has SP3. I cannot find it to make a copy. At microsoft the download is in the recent history and it won't let me access it again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do a search for the following: WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe
Or even search for KB835935

Advertisements

Matsmyn

Matsmyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
O.K. The computer that I am trying to install DOES have SP2 and it does show the USB icon.

Could this be a problem?... My husband took an old lynkseys internal card and tried to use it on the computer. Should we take it out and see if it is blocking something or confusing sugnals? :)

Matsmyn

Matsmyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just ran a repair problem prompt and the answer I got was UNABLE TO CONNECT TO THE WIRELESS NETWORK.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you using the adapter in a USB 2.0 port?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Could this be a problem?... My husband took an old lynkseys internal card and tried to use it on the computer. Should we take it out and see if it is blocking something or confusing sugnals?

I am assuming that this is a wired network card?? If it is for wired, it will have a spot where you plug in the network cable (looks like a phone connector but a little wider). If it is wireless, it will have a little antenna on it.
Which one is it? If wired, it will not conflict.

If the device operates at USB 2.0 and the port is 1.1, then you should get a popup that tells you "this device will operate faster in a 2.0 port (or something similar)".

Matsmyn

Matsmyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The card we tried first (lynkseys) is wireless...it has the atenna. We couldn't get it up and running so we bought the USB. I will check to see if it is in the correct port.