Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD when I install more that 3 bg of ram

• Please log in to reply

claymantromm

claymantromm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows 7 has trouble loading atikmdag.sys for some reason when i have more than 3 gb of ram and my ATI Radeon hd3450 installed. I removed my ram and windows booted fine. I installed my ram and removed my ATI HD3450 PCI-e card and windows booted fine. I'm not sure what the connection is. Any Ideas?

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Whats the make and model of your motherboard?
Are you using 32 or 64 bit Windows?

claymantromm

claymantromm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can't find the name of the motherboard but these are some specs that I found out about it.

Aspire M5100 AM5100-U5301A AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0GHz

System supports either 533/667/800MHz Unbuffered Non-ECC DDR2 SDRAM 240-Pin memory. Memory must be purchased and installed in matched pairs for Dual Channel mode. NOTE: * If 4GB is installed, the recognized memory may be reduced to 3.5GB or less depending on system configuration (operating system) and memory allocation. To utilize the maximum configurations, this system will need a 64-bit operating system. When mixing the memory speed, the installed memory will run at the slowest memory speed.

I have from the manufacturer the Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS and I installed on a partitions Windows 7 Beta 64 bit and it worked until I installed more ram i.e. 4gb. But it worked with 4gb when I pulled my ATI HD3450 PCI-e card out. Windows 7 64 bit will work with either one just not both.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The system should be able to handle 4 gB of RAM w/o issues.

I'd suggest following the steps in this link to create a bootable memory diagnostic disk: http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html
Then shut down and install both the video card and the 4 gB of RAM.
Boot directly to the bootable memory test and run it for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If it starts spitting out errors you can stop the test.

Also, once all that stuff is back in, try booting to Safe Mode to see if it gives you the BSOD there.

Finally, after all this is done, locate the minidump files on your system (usually in C:\Windows\Minidump), zip them up and upload the .zip file with your next post.

claymantromm

claymantromm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
FYI:Running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit now.

Okay I played around with some different configurations. First of all I have two different types of RAM. All being 2 gb OCZ, 2 of them are pc6400 and the other two are pc8500.
If I just install one stick (2gb) Windows boots fine.
Sometimes I get a weird "starfield simulation" from the windows logo til the login screen.
If I install two sticks of either pc6400 or pc8500 I don't get a stack dump, but my Audio sounds horribly scratchy.

If I install 3 sticks (6gb) or 4 sticks (8gb) I get the BSOD regarding the "atikmdag.sys"

This is the window solution box details when I get it to boot into windows for the first time after the stack dump.

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80080C14E0
BCP2: FFFFFA60042327E0
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 256_1

For some reason I can't uplaod a zipx or rar file