Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Enclosure: With fan or without fan?

• Please log in to reply

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'll be getting a Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB drive soon to put into an external enclosure. I need to keep the drive plugged in and running full-time, as I need to access files on it throughout the day. Should I make a point to get a case with a fan, or would it work to use an aluminum case with no fan?

Advertisements

rabidturtle2501

rabidturtle2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I should probably mention that it will be a 7200 RPM drive

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Interesting discussion here: http://forums.cnet.c...threadID=192359

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I would tend to use one with a fan if you are going to have it on all the time. Part of the reason is that often the connection between the disk and the case is not always the best, in terms of heat.

If you get a case without a fan, you can always use a small fan to blow air across the case.

One question is if they disk is always going to be on, why does it need to be external? If you need it to be removable, you can get drive trays (need to power cycle the machine). There is also the issue with those and fans.