Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First Time Builder Seeking Advice

• Please log in to reply

durnik15

durnik15

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello-
This is my first time (be gentle with me :-)) building a computer. I'm currently running a Best Buy bought HP Pavilion a287x (6 yrs old with some upgrades along the way) which is currently at 2.133 GHz AMD Athlon, 1 GB RAM, and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. Naturally anything I build will crush this. The main reason I'm building is I can't play Fallout 3. That's the kind of upgrader I am - I'm cheap and I upgrade when I can no longer do what I need (like adding RAM for Oblivion), not for the newest hit thing or small performance increase. Thus I'd like to get a pretty good system so I can avoid upgrades for a fairly long while, but not break the bank to do so. I'm thinking about doing Crossfire (or SLI), but only getting 1 card now, and the second when it's real cheap.

My rough draft so far is:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops
MoBo: Foxconn A79A-S - Newegg.com - Foxconn A79A-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
GPU: ATI HD 4870 1GB - no exact maker preference (cheapest when I purchase)
RAM: 2 Sets of OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 - Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Desktop Memory
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

The big thing I'm not sure on is AM3 with DDR3 or AM2+ with DDR2 to save money (I've been hearing performance increase isn't worth it for the money). ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is all pretty overwhelming for my first time.
Thanks,
Mike

Advertisements