Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

browser.exe closes itself ("Problem 1")

• Please log in to reply

Pigggle

Pigggle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi!

I'm new here, did a bit of googling and found this website. As it all seems very friendly here, I thought I'd ask for a little help. :) I'm a Brit but I've lived in Germany for 19 years and have a German computer, so please be patient if I use the wrong English words for some things! :) I'm no computer expert, but I am still capable of learning and would love to get rid of the problems we are experiencing, which may (hopefully) be extremely banal and easy for the experts in this forum. :)

(We have WinXP Home with Service Pack 3)

We have 2 problems. They both started a few months ago, the browser one first, but are happening more and more frequently. They both now occur every day. :)

The irritating but slightly less worrying one is:

Problem 1 The browser closes itself independently. We use the T-Online 6.0 browser (Deutsche Telekom) which I suspect is very similar to the British Telecom system, should that be of help. Apparently it is based on IE. Regardless of how long we have been online or what we are currently looking at, we get the message (roughtly translated) "browser.exe has detected a problem and must be closed". We then have the option, whether or not to send an error report to Microsoft. The browser then shuts itself.

We also have IE7 installed, so I set this as default browser, to see what would happen. We then got the message "explorer.exe has detected a problem...".

We can start the browser again straight away and everything works OK until the message appears again, sometimes 30 minutes later, sometimes a couple of hours.

There is no reference to this problem in the error log in workplace / administration / event viewer (or whatever Arbeitsplatz / Verwaltung / Ereignisanzeige is called on English-speaking computers! :) )

I believe I have to start a second thread for the other problem, so I'll do that now.

I hope someone can help me!

Many thanks in advance,
Pigggles

Edited by Pigggle, 30 June 2009 - 06:51 AM.

Advertisements

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hm...browser.exe and explorer.exe closing for no reason at all...this seems to be some kind of virus/spyware infection to me.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

Pigggle

Pigggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the answers.

I'm sorry to be so clueless :) but I thought that it can't be a virus or spy thingy if the Avira system check comes up clean.
I have Windows and Avira set to automatic updates and run regular systems checks.

Has this been too little all this time? :) This is NOT meant as sarcasm! I mean it seriously - I have no idea about all these OTL Logs and Rootkit Detection thingumijigs... :) I'm terrified of doing something wrong.