Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts itself ("Problem 2")

• Please log in to reply

Pigggle

Pigggle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
(I have copied the beginning from my other post, to save time. :) )

Hi!

I'm new here, did a bit of googling and found this website. As it all seems very friendly here, I thought I'd ask for a little help. I'm a Brit but I've lived in Germany for 19 years and have a German computer, so please be patient if I use the wrong English words for some things! I'm no computer expert, but I am still capable of learning and would love to get rid of the problems we are experiencing, which may (hopefully) be extremely banal and easy for the experts in this forum.

(We have WinXP Home with Service Pack 3. We use the Windows firewall and Avira antivirus)

We have 2 problems. They both started a few months ago, the browser one first, but are happening more and more frequently. They both now occur every day. I have started another thread regarding the browser.exe ("Problem 1") problem.

The really rather worrying problem is:

Problem 2 Regardless of how long the computer has been running (it can be 5 minutes or several hours) or what we are doing at the time, the computer suddenly restarts itself, without warning. We then get a window with the message (roughly translated) "The system has been restarted following a grave malfunction". We have the option of sending an error report to MS. If we say yes, we get to read an MS page which tells us that it is probably a hardware or software fault and that we should check all new hardware & software and update drivers and contact manufacturers, etc.

This started a few months ago, and was sporadic, maybe once a week or so. This now happens every day.

At the beginning, the screen just went black and a restart was carried out. I read on the MS website that I could change this (press F8 during the reboot) so that the system didn't get restarted - instead, we get a blue screen with an error message: ***STOP: 0x0000001a (0x.... blah blah etc.) Means nothing to me, unfortunately. :) We still have to manually restart, so that doesn't help.

Last week I spoke to the local computer shop (I appreciate that a remote diagnosis is almost impossible) but one thing I learned is how to look at the error log. Yes, sorry, but I didn't know about it before. :)

So, when I go to workplace / administration / event viewer (or whatever Arbeitsplatz / Verwaltung / Ereignisanzeige is called on English-speaking computers! ) I can see what has been logged at the time of the restart. Unfortunately, I don't know what it means! :) :) :)

Generally, the same procedure happens every time: at the time of the restart there are 2 eventlogs, 6009 & 6005. 6009 says "MS Win Service Pack 3 Uniprocessor Free". 6005 says that the protocol service has been started.
Immediately after that comes "Save Dump" with the 5 long numbers mentioned in the blue-screen error message.
After that comes "Tcpip" 4201 which says that the fast ethernet adaptor has been connected.
Then comes "avgntflt" 17, AVGNTFLT successfully loaded.
Then come 2 "Error" messages (marked with a red & white cross); the first is "Service Control Manager" 7000 which says that the service ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec could not be started - it is deactivated or not connected to activated devices.
Then comes "Service Control Manager" 7026 which says that the following Boot or System Start Driver has failed: eeCtrl

After that there are loads of "normal" Service Control Manager entries.

I'm afraid I have no idea about these things.
A friend, who has a bit more computer knowledge, says it could be the power pack (Netzteil) in the computer. How can I check this?
Yesterday evening we were trying to watch World Superbikes (the WSBK website has a streaming function, so you can watch the races for 7 days after the live event) and the system restarted 3 times within a few minutes, the last time just as Biaggi was having problems, i.e. a few seconds before the finish line - really aggravating! After the last restart, I wiggled the power plug on the computer and the thing then ran sweetly for about an hour until I switched it off 'coz I wanted to go to bed. Coincidence, or could it really be the power connection? :)

In the last couple of weeks I have updated just about every prog and every driver I could find. I also found a Symantec file and deleted it - we used to have Norton, but threw it out a couple of years ago. I thought I had deleted everything from Symantec... Doesn't seem to have helped, though!

Enough of my scribbling.

Hoping that someone may be able to help!

Many thanks in advance,
Pigggles

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to the directory C:\Windows\Minidump (It could be a little different in German)
Make sure that hidden files are visible.
Then zip up the recent files (made within a week) that you see in that directory, and attach the .zip archive to your next post.

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
If the dump is in German edge you can translate it here

Pigggle

Pigggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi!

It's C:/Windows/Minidump here, too. :) Luckily for me!

However, I can't open it. This is new to me - what do I have to do?! Sorry to be so painfully clueless...

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

However, I can't open it.

What exactly do you mean? Is there an error message given?

Follow the steps in these articles: http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle36976.aspx
And here: http://www.cakewalk....er/minidump.asp
Then recreate your BSOD... a couple of times.
Go back to the minidump folder and make sure that there are dump (.dmp) files there.
*NOTE* to see the dump files you will need to make hidden files visible...
http://www.microsoft...iddenfiles.mspx

Pigggle

Pigggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK...here we go:

The tweakxp thing was already done. (I did this a couple of weeks back after reading something on the MS website.)

I have now changed the Dr. Watson settings according to the cakewalk instructions.

I have made all hidden files visible and have found the user.dmp file. But I can't get into it; when I click on it, it asks me to choose a prog with which to open it, but whatever I try, it either says no way, or it shows a screen full of alphabeti-spaghetti. :)

Am I doing something wrong?

In the middle of doing all this, an error window popped up with (roughly translated) "brccMCtl.exe has discovered a problem and must be closed". Makes a change from the browser.exe problem which we also have (see other thread "Problem 1")... :) When I clicked the window away, everything carried on as usual. I wish I had more knowledge about these things!

Many thanks for your time!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Right click on an empty space in your desktop, and go to New -> Compressed (Zipped) Folder
Or Komprimierte ZIP-Ordner according to Google.
Then copy the dump file and paste it in the folder you created. Then attach the zipped folder to your next post.

Pigggle

Pigggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm not sure if I've done this correctly...can you see anything?

Attached Files

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I couldn't read that dump correctly...
Try creating another one and attaching that one too.

Pigggle

Pigggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Another try...
There should be 2 files in the attachment.

Attached Files

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Those dumps appear too small (usually they would be around 64kb)
Uninstall Flash: http://kb2.adobe.com...1/tn_14157.html
And reinstall: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

When does it restart? When a web page is open?
Check your memory, click on Memtest Instructions in my sig, and follow the instructions. Post the results.
Also give me all the STOP codes you see.

Pigggle

Pigggle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have just uninstalled and reinstalled Flash.

I'll need a bit of time for the Memtest thing - I'm not used to opening the computer and taking bits out! That worries me a little... :) It might take a couple of days until I have time to do it. Thanks again for your patience!

The restart happens out of the blue, usually when a webpage is open, but we have also had it happen when we are watching a DVD on the computer with nothing else running, i.e. not online.

Thanks again. I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to help.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I'm not used to opening the computer and taking bits out! That worries me a little

That's all right. If you have any questions on how to remove or put RAM back into your computer, feel free to ask.