Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing Whole Hard Drive Over Vista

• Please log in to reply

rockamania2005

rockamania2005

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
So the story is this.....

We are both running vista. He had a folder of games and movies which were just over 400gigs therefore wouldn't fit in the public folder so we have decided to share the hard drive and ill just copy what i want.
Sadly we cant figure out how to share the hard drive.
So in a clear step by step can you please help us.

I look forward to your reply.

p.s Vista sucks haha

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no limit to the size of the public folder. It's more likely the hard drive is totally full.
You can share the hard-drive by right-clicking on it in My Computer -> Properties -> Sharing.

rockamania2005

rockamania2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

There is no limit to the size of the public folder. It's more likely the hard drive is totally full.
You can share the hard-drive by right-clicking on it in My Computer -> Properties -> Sharing.

Man we did that and it still came up with a error.
Thanks

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
If you cant share that one folder, what makes you think you can share the whole drive? PS, creating a share of your entire hard drive is a bad idea.

rockamania2005

rockamania2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

If you cant share that one folder, what makes you think you can share the whole drive? PS, creating a share of your entire hard drive is a bad idea.

Hows it a bad idea? its just filled with movies and games.
Simple as that.

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
If anybody gets access to your network weather its wireless or over the internet your system folders are wide open, not just your system folders but every piece of personal data is vulnerable, web history, saved passwords etc..Unless your talking about two different drives, and your OS is on a separate drive which you didn't really specify.

Edited by mike171562, 02 July 2009 - 08:26 AM.

rockamania2005

rockamania2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

If anybody gets access to your network weather its wireless or over the internet your system folders are wide open, not just your system folders but every piece of personal data is vulnerable, web history, saved passwords etc..Unless your talking about two different drives, and your OS is on a separate drive which you didn't really specify.

Yes it is.
Sorry i forgot to add that