Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot transfer files to my phone

• Please log in to reply

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Whenever I try to transfer some mp3 files to my Sony ericsson W810i's memory stick it says Cannot copy [song-name]: The drive cannot find the sector requested.

And my memory stick is not full, it shows about 150 MB of free space.. Can anyone help?:)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i can't speak on fact for your specific phone BUT...some phones have a specific format for the flash cards that can't actually be read by windows...so you can't just drag and drop files to the card...you either have to use the USB cable to connect to the phone (and the software specifically for your phone) or you have to use that same software to be able to transfer directly to the card through a card reader

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hm... I had the same with my phone. Still, I cannot speak for your phone, but my older Sony Ericsson is compatible with drag and drop "technique". Were you able to do it before?
I noticed that with time, few songs started disappear from my flash. My flash was actually damaged. You could try to CHKDSK X: /F /R, where X is your driv's letter. You could also try reformatting...
ALSO! I noticed that I cannot transfer files to the ROOT or top directory. You have to use or create a subdirectory.

Edited by Roman Pope, 30 June 2009 - 09:10 AM.

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I have been transferring songs by this method for the last one year with my usb cable .. I find the SE PC suite kind of creepy so I prefer this method more. I don't know why it has started acting weird.

Edited by Mohit Daksh, 30 June 2009 - 10:25 AM.

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
It may be damaged. That was my case. It wasn't "refreshing" and updating the file system properly. Like it would show 200 megs of free space, but in reality it didn't properly delete files or whatnot. Sometimes I would solve the problem by like deleting 80 megs of songs/files and then it would start working again. Why? I have no clue.
Once I even got around the problem by running a defragmentation on the card. Best bets:
- Try to use the Chkdsk utility.
Go to Start -> Run -> Type in cmd
Then type CHKDSK X: /F /R - where X is the letter of your flash drive.
- Try reformatting the card.

Edited by Roman Pope, 30 June 2009 - 10:49 AM.

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I ran the check disk utility and it seems to be working fine now. I hope it keeps on working like this.. Thanks a lot

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Don't make me state the Murphy's law :)
Glad I could help and not harm.