Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet Access -Internet Explorer Won't Open

• Please log in to reply

Craig M.

Craig M.

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Rorschach112 sent me here after he helped me attempt to remove Rootkit.agent

I don't know if rootkit.agant is all gone but Rorschach122 says my logs are clean. The last program we ran reported the following:

Dial a Fix is unable to determine the version of Internet explorer. Certain DLL registrations will be skipped.

Then I received several error 127 notices that stated:

error 127 - C\windows32\iesetup.dll is not registrable or file is corupt. Your version of iesetup.dll is 8.00.6001.18702

I also received this same error for the following files (version):
mshtml.dll (...18783)
msrating.dll (...18702)
ocache.dll (...18702)
pngfilt.dll (...18702)
webcheck.dll (...18702)

Is there anything I can do to get Internet explorer to work?
Please help :)

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
You can try reinstalling internet explorer, any malware on your computer could have damaged some of the files used by internet explorer.

Craig M.

Craig M.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi There, Thank you for the response.
Any suggestions on how to reinstall IE? I have read some of the other posts and they link to some instructions to reinstall IE 6 using the CD but I don't have a CD (or IE 6) as my computer came with all the software already loaded on it.
I ran SFC /scannow and I had to 'skip' some files as I don't have the CD to copy files to the dll cache. It didn't tell me what files are missing or any other information. Last week during the virus troubleshooting the computer automatically downloaded Internet Explorer 8 and it shows in the add/remove programs section but It won't open or run all I get is the hour glass for about 7-8 seconds and then it goes away.

Standing by:

Craig

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I ran SFC /scannow and I had to 'skip' some files

I believe, at this point, you need Windows XP CD. Borrowed one will work.

Craig M.

Craig M.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I borrowed a neighbors CD (Xp service pack 2) and tried it with SFC and I got a message saying it was the wrong disk and needed XP Service pack 3 CD disk. My computer came preloaded and I don't have any CDs.

I think I might still have some infection I don't know. I'm having the following problems:

Internet Explorer won't open
I can't access windows restore
I can't access windows update

I loaded mozilla so I could get to the internet and I downloaded Internet Explorer from the Microsoft download site and when I tried to install it it said it wasn't a WINSys32 program or something like that and wouldn't install.

:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can always revisit malware section, if any doubt.

As for your borrowed CD, you're just one step from making it usable.
You need to create new CD with SP3 slipstreamed into it.
Manual: http://www.theelderg...ed_xpsp3_cd.htm

Craig M.

Craig M.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Here's latest status on my system problem. I have run several spyware and malware checkers to make sure I'm still not infected and all the programs indicate no threats. I ran CCleaner to scrub the registry. I downloaded and installed Inernet Explorer 8 - it shows up in the add/remove programs section. I tried to use a borrowed XP CD to fix the files in SFC (system Files Checker) but SFC error message said to insert "XP Service pack 3 CD" so that didn't work. The following three known problems still remain:

Internet Explorer won't open/run - hourglass pauses for about eight seconds and then disappears.
Can't open/access System Restore
Can't open/access Windows update.

I have also noticed that my wireless speed now cycles up and down when it use to be steady at 130 Mbps. I don't know if this is related but my download speeds seem to be slower since the malware attack.

Is there anyway to check or know what files are needed to get IE to start and run. I could copy them from another computer if I knew what ones were bad.

If you can help I'd really appreciate it. Firefox is okay and I'm learning it but I like IE better. I'll read the stuff about the slipstream and see if that's something I can do.
:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I tried to use a borrowed XP CD to fix the files in SFC (system Files Checker) but SFC error message said to insert "XP Service pack 3 CD" so that didn't work.

You simply didn't read me previous reply.

Craig M.

Craig M.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Dude, I don't need attitude, I need help. I did read your reply and in my last post (last sentence) I stated I would see if the slipstream was something I could do. I followed the instructions up until the Microsoft download center would not let me download service pack 3 because I wasn't using using Internet Explorer which I'm not because it won't work! So I can't do the slipstream fix. So what now?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
First of all, I'm not any dude, and I don't have any attitude issue.

I followed the instructions up until the Microsoft download center would not let me download service pack 3 because I wasn't using using Internet Explorer which I'm not because it won't work! So I can't do the slipstream fix.

You didn't say the above before, did you? Which led me to believe, you didn't read my previous reply.
Instead of getting upset, you better realize, I'm not there, nor I have a crystal ball, so I can't see what's going on.

You don't need IE to download SP3:
http://majorgeeks.co...ck_3_d4323.html
http://www.softpedia...load-90001.html
http://www.soft32.co...oad_123572.html

Advertisements

Craig M.

Craig M.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Broni, sorry for the snap! This is so frustrating. I tried one of the download links and my download speed is so slow for some reason that the anticipated time to download is about 12 hours. I'm on satellite but my speed has never been this slow before. I think it may be related to the problem I'm having with IE. Should a 315MB file take this long to down load? If so I will plan an over-nighter!!! Also can I use an XP pro CD for the slipstream? I don't know what service pack it is as it's a copy. FYI - My installed version is XP Media Center edition.

Thanks
Craig

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Broni, sorry for the snap! This is so frustrating.

Understood :)

Bad news, though.
Unfortunately, for some reason, maybe know to Mr. Bill only, you CAN NOT create slipstreamed Windows CD in case of Media Center Edition version. XP Pro CD wouldn't work on your computer anyway.
Said that, I can see reinstall as the only option.

Craig M.

Craig M.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Okay, I figured that's where I'd end up in the long run. Thanks for your help. I'll move some files and use the Gateway recovery disk to take it back to the original configuration. I hate the thought of trying to get everything reinstalled with the online software purchases I made, I guess I'll lose some of the programs. I there anyway to save the email archives and favorites and stuff like that? I'm offline till Monday due to work so I'll look for a response then. Thanks again.

Craig

Edited by Craig M., 09 July 2009 - 10:05 AM.

CharlesThomas

CharlesThomas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Windows XP media center version that I recently got the BSOD with when I updated to guess what service pack 3, so I after trying many other options reloaded windows xp from the Dell start up disk. I have a router and aftermarket Linksys wireless card installed and guess what no internet access-my laptops are working fine, meaning that I do get wireless internet access or ethenet access. I did a reformat of the 500 gig hard drive, loaded XP per instructions. I think the issue is one of having TCP protocol drivers, but am not sure. I share Broni's frustration, believe me. I'm not very computer literate so this is a mystery to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by CharlesThomas, 09 July 2009 - 11:40 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
CharlesThomas.....You need to start your own topic. Your request for help is buried in this post and when a post has a lot of responces, not to many helpers will look at the topic. In other words, you may not get help.
Your issue, even though similar may have a different approach and resolution.

123runner