Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't connect to cable internet

• Please log in to reply

jones082

jones082

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Since updating, not only did my computer crash and slow down, but I gradually lost internet connectivity. I've been trying to get help in these forums for about a month:
http://www.geekstogo...et-t238729.html

And the crashing , so far, has stopped

But no luck with the internet connectivity. It just can't seem to find a network address and renew an ip address and it seems to not be able to assign values for the subnet mask, gateway and dns. I don't grasp alot of this stuff and I'm about at my wit's end. Anyone able to help?

Edited by jones082, 30 June 2009 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Okay, after about a month of this I had Cox cable come out and they couldn't figure it either.

So I went to the store and bought a Netgear wireless router and usb adapter.

Somehow, I actually got connected!

Unfortunately, it is slow as s#!t...just like the old days on 56k. Pages load at a snail's pace.

Now, any ideas, anyone?

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Probably slow cause your using a USB adapter, what happens if you use your ethernet adapter with the new Router?