Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen, white cursor

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm trying to help a friend with a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5853 running Vista. The system will not boot in normal mode, safe mode (loads some of the drivers and then freezes), or Last Known Good (sits forever with the Vista splash screen with green bar moving around). Fortunately she has a "Recovery and Apps" disk, but it doesn't seem to work either. After going through a phase of copying some files it goes to a black screen with a white cursor.

What other tricks can I try? I was considering formatting the harddrive with another Windows disk (not the Toshiba one) and then putting the Toshiba disk back in to try to build. Would that be advisable?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I had that laptop, my hard drive fried twice. All looked somewhat like your problem.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The most common reason for this in XP was either a hard drive problem, or a video driver problem.
Since you can't get into Safe Mode, it's not likely to be a video problem.

With Vista, there's a lot of other things that can cause this - but the hard drive issue still holds true.
Try a bootable hard drive diagnostic to see if the hard drive is bad. More info here: http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html