Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Won't Boot / Puppy Linux / NTFS Read Only

• Please log in to reply

BobbyC33

BobbyC33

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, this is my first post to any forum asking for help. I am doing so because I have some data that I really need to save. I otherwise would have done a reinstall.
The post below follows almost my exact initial issue and it has helped me tremendously. I joined and posted here because of that.

http://www.geekstogo...en-t159277.html

With Puppy Linux running on my XP machine I can get as far as seeing what I want to transfer from my old drive to my external HD. I get a message regarding the NTFS-3g driver:

The ntfs -3g driver was unable to mount the ntfs partition and returned this error message:
Failed to write lock '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable
Error opening partition device: Resource temporarily unavailable
Failed startup volume:'/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable
So, the inbuilt kernel ntfs driver has been used to mount the partition read-only.

The drives mount, but obviously proceeding after that copy won't work due to the read-only status of my "C" drive. I did try changing the permissions using right click/properties on the files and folders with no luck.
Is there possibly a simple work around for this?
I can provide more details.
Thanks in advance,
Bobby

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi BobbyC33...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
give me a list of the drives puppy drive mounter is seeing

Edited by happyrock, 05 July 2009 - 08:44 AM.

BobbyC33

BobbyC33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi happyrock,
Pmount Drive mounter sees:
Floppy
CD/dev/hdc
Disk/dev/sda

On this list is a floppy which I realize do not have.
Also, my listed disk "C" is correctly shown as ntfs.
It also sees my external HD when I connect it via USB. It also is ntfs.

Puppy Linux is a slick. I'd love to get past this issue so I can mess with it more. Nice stuff.

Thanks for the reply!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Knoppix should work for all your NTFS needs :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
diabillic...puppy works with NTFS file systems too... :)

BobbyC33can you open up the external drive and make a new folder...call it bobbies stuff...
leave it open on the desktop but shrink it to half the width of the screen
now explore your c drive and find your data that you want to save...make that window half the width of the screen and move it beside the open folder (bobbies stuff) drag and drop the data you want saved into the new folder you just made...

Edited by happyrock, 05 July 2009 - 07:17 PM.

BobbyC33

BobbyC33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok ok ...I think I have it now. Although, IDK what I did different vs what you just said.
Originally when I tried to move my files from "C", Documents and Settings... I had selected the single top level folder for my "user" and tried to do it all in one swoop. Maybe that was the problem. Anyhoo...DATA SAVED! Puppy FTW!

So let me ask this ...
To get this machine back up and running the quickest would be a XP reinstall? What are some other options other than hacking up the MBR?
Thanks happyrock :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
got the data saved...great... :)
although in your first post you said it sounded like you had the same problem as another thread...
what exactly is happening...

BobbyC33

BobbyC33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, the initial problem is a booting to a black screen with a unmovable blinking cursor in the upper left corner. F2 & F12 are the only options from the bios splash. I pretty much followed everything recommended in the mentioned previous post. That post led to Puppy Linux leaving the booting, black screen/cursor problem unresolved. Which is where I was/am at.
With my data now saved... maybe I should start a new thread regarding the black screen/cursor problem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you tried everything from the other thread and didn't get anything resolved ...
then go for a format and a clean install