Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kernel_stack_inpage_error?

• Please log in to reply

knotsotypikal

knotsotypikal

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Physical Memory Dump
A few weeks ago I dropped my Gateway laptop...and ever since then, things have been going downhill. I'm currently running Windows XP. Everytime I run Avira Antivirus and begin scanning my computer, I get this blue screen...

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
STOP: 0x00000077.....

and so on. From the research I've done, I've realized that this is most likely a hardware error, I'm guessing from dropping the laptop in the first place.

I've had Avira for quite a while though, and haven't installed anything new recently.

That being said...is there a way to find out precisely what's causing this error message? Specific piece of hardware that needs to be replaced or such?

Could it be something as simple as the USB that doesn't work on the side that it was dropped on? Thanks in advance for any info.

Edited by knotsotypikal, 30 June 2009 - 06:28 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Open Windows Explorer.
Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.
Vista users You may need to copy .dmp files, paste them into some other folder, or desktop, and zip them there.

knotsotypikal

knotsotypikal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
And what if there are no files there?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Probably dump files are not enabled...

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel (Start>Control Panel in Vista).
2. Double-click System.
3. Click (Advanced system settings link in Vista, then --->)the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

From now on with every new BSOD, you should be getting new files in C:\Windows\Minidump folder

knotsotypikal

knotsotypikal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay I'm running in safe mode with networking now, because the normal mode freezes. Should I cause a BSOD in safe mode w/networking so that I can "generate" these files?

knotsotypikal

knotsotypikal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
If this helps...

When the "BSOD" appears telling me it's beginning a dump of the physical memory...it never finishes. It'll sit for hours at the same screen. It says Beginning dump of physical memory, but it never actually completes the dump.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
See, if any dmp files are generated.

knotsotypikal

knotsotypikal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It did the crash again but there's still no files. When it crashes, I have to manually shut the computer off because it'll never "finish the dump." So I'm guessing that's why the files aren't saved"

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

knotsotypikal

knotsotypikal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, made the disk and ran it...

Ran it under quick mode, and it said Defective Device, then prompted me to either fix the error sectors or format the hard drive. Ran it under advanced, and it did the same thing. I then went back and put all the stuff I want to keep on flash drives so I have a back up of it, ran the disk again, and it comes up with Defective device again, but this time it says "excessive shock", and doesn't give me the option of fixing any bad sectors or formatting.