Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA drive not recognized, tried other posting solutions

• Please log in to reply

Kent T

Kent T

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My desktop has/had a Western Digital IDE 40gb HD, and a Wester Digital IDE 250gb HD. My programs and operating system were on the 40gb drive, but it went bad. I was able to make a complete computer backup using MS backup and restore tool....the backup was made to an external hard drive.

I removed the 40gb drive, and installed a new Seagate 1tb SATA drive. When I boot up, however, only the old 250gb HD is recognized. I have modified the BIOS to boot from floppy, then CD then other device, but still no luck.

My motherboard is an ABIT KV-80 drive with 2gb RAM.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent

Advertisements

Kent T

Kent T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I should also mention that I am installing VISTA on the computer, and I do have the driver cd that came with the motherboard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the 250 a Sata Drive also?
You may have to go into the Bios and disable Raid on the Sata Controllers
For some reason the bios wants to setup raid on sata drives. Let us know how it works then.

Kent T

Kent T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The 250g drive is an IDE drive, not SATA. I've looked in the BIOS setup, but I do not see anywhere to disable the RAID on the SATA controllers?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to the Bios
Then to Advanced
Click on the first Sata Controller and then see if the option to disable the raid on individual controller is there.
Check the screen to see if there is a way to expand the controller options.
Make sure to click F10 to Save and Exit
Then click Y to verify Save and Exit

Let me know if this helps

Kent T

Kent T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
In the Advanced BIOS features, the only place I see anything referencing SATA is in the Bootable add-in device; PCI Slot device was clicked, so I changed it to Onchip SATA Raid, but that did not work....so I changed it back to PCI Slot device.

Another place I saw reference to SATA was in the Integrated Peripherals, where the Onchip IDE Device has an option saying SATA Raid ROM, and this is checked as Enabled. I tried changing it to disabled, but that did not work, so I changed it back to enabled.