Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers failing to load images/maps

• Please log in to reply

sweetdave

sweetdave

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have been helped so far by Essexboy, under the Topic 'Rooter Rootkit Detector Problem - Failure of 'Rooter'. I started this topic because, in preparing to post about the browser problem, I hit a problem with Rooter Rootkit Detector, and couldn't get past that on my own. Together, we have tried several things, without success.

He has taken me as far as he can - and now says

'Hi, alas I have been unable to find a solution or duplicate the problem on my system. What I would recommend is that you post in the browser forum where the technical experts are. They know a lot more than I do. Reference this thread and let them know you are free of malware '

I have followed all his recommendations to reset/clean etc.

Quick summary - Any browser, any Search Engine - click on Image Search - as often as not, get a page full of white squares only, and after a lengthy delay. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, get some images - occasionally get full screenful. Similarly, Map search is slow, and almost always tells me 'No data available - zoom out' even when zoomed right out (and i know there is data, I have seen it in the past - like my own house) Sometimes shows a patchwork - some squares with images, some with the 'No data' message.

Help, please!

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
this isn't a fix,

are you using a belkin gateway by any chance ?

do you have a firewall enabled on vista ?

the reason i am asking is because i'm in manchester and have a belkin adsl gateway and have exactly the same problem - as a few other people i know have and they have a belkin gateway/router,

i got round the issue by installing zone alarm firewall on my w2k and xp's, configuring my linux's firewalls and finally switching the gateways firewall off (also enabling mac filtering) - does the job for me

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks for that insight, hawklord.

My computer is part of a small LAN - 2 connected by cable, and one wirelessly to a Belkin router!

I have done a quick prelimenary test on the other cable-connected machine, and it shows the same Images and Maps problem.

I haven't yet been able to check fully, nor to check with the wireless-connected machine - but it looks interesting, so far. You may have hit on something.

I'm no techie - so I'll have to see what I can do (and talk to my son, who is more techie than me!)

Thanks again for your helpful information.