Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format?

• Please log in to reply

jmc55

jmc55

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

When I first bought my HP with Vista 64 and couple months ago it screamed. I do a lot of image editing and the results regarding process times were very pleasing. As time went on and other software was installed, things started to slow down to a point of ridiculous so I did a "system recovery with format". Although it restored the factory settings I didn't feel it was performing as before. I did a test by trying to create another set of recovery discs. It wouldn't let me which led me to believe it's not really wiping the HD clean. I feel like that is what's needed to get this thing back to normal. I have the recovery discs. Is there a way to wipe the HD clean and reinstall with what I have?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can only make one set of Recovery disks with the software provided by HP.
You should be able to boot off the first CD or DVD in the recovery disks you've made in order for them to wipe the machine.

jmc55

jmc55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
that's my point. how would the system know recovery discs had already been created if the disc was wiped clean? i don't think the recovery process is a complete cleaning of the disc. seems it only deletes and reinstalls...leaving certain info or corrupt files.

this is what others are saying in other places.

is there a way to wipe the disc completely and reinstall fresh?

thanks. :)

btw, i've done the recovery several times but it doesn't behave like it did new 2 months ago.

Edited by jmc55, 01 July 2009 - 03:55 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You'd need Vista DVD.