Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! No AUX audio input on Dell motherborad or sound card

• Please log in to reply

mobiledab

mobiledab

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I purchased a Dell XPS 420 desktop a couple of years ago with one of the expressed intents being use as a DVR for security cameras. This required installation of two 4-camera audio/video cards in PCI slots; the only other internal connection required is an audio cable. As per the instructions, I attempted to locate the AUX/CD-in connector on the motherboard. Apparently it either does not exist or I'm too stupid to find it (I am NOT a computer wiz). The next obvious place to look in my mind was the sound card--a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music version which Creative Labs tells me is proprietary and made for Dell. Well, believe it or not, no AUX adio input connector there either! At this point the security camera video works great, but no sound and that's something which is critically needed. After-the-fact I purchased a USB microphone and discovered it will not work to record sound based upon how Dell has the motherboard, sound card or both configured! Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated! I'm happy to replace the sound card if that is a fix--especially for the audio-in AUX input. Many, many thanks in advance to you!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot of boards don't use CD-In connectors anymore. Audio CD wise, the sound comes digitally down the SATA cable or the IDE cable, therefore CD-In and Aux take-offs are obsolete. Some sound cards do have them still but you won't find them on the cheap-and-cheerful models. Other sound is sent straight to the card via the drivers that power the card so there is no other input for them, it's all digital now.

You can go into the Volume Control, view the Recording properties and change the default input-source since typically by default it'll end up on a channel you'll never use, or if available to a "Mix" or "Stereo" choice so it'll see everything but the exact terminology depends on your hardware.