Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ignored

• Please log in to reply

xbenx

xbenx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is a bit of a weird one. After rebuilding my computer I had some problems with the front USB. I have nearly fixed it. It connects to the motherboard with 9 pins. When a put a USB stick into the port, the light comes on the stick but the computer doesn't notice it's been plugged in. My Computer or device manager doesn't see it. However, the weird bit, as soon as I go to Add New Hardware and the scan starts a pop-up comes up telling me USB 2.0 is quicker (it's only 1.1) but when the scan finishes it says no new hardware found. The stick works fine from then, with both device manager and my computer recognizing it fine. I have tried to update the driver (USB Root Hub) but it says no newer version available. The USB worked fine before rebuilding the computer (mainly just changed the corroded motherboard). It is the same every time I use the port.

Any suggestion? :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This usually means one of two things:

1) Front USB is wired up wrong. Red, White, Green, Black with Black next to the missing pin, and same on the other USB line. Have you tried ports on the back?
2) USB 2 support is only available with XP Service Pack 1 and later. You do have Service Pack 1 or later I take it?