Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM causes problems with computer

• Please log in to reply

ryan24695

ryan24695

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just decided to put on 512 MB of RAM and my computer and it uses DDR. I did this for my new game which needed 1 G of RAM. I had about 768. I started with 256 MB on my computer and I put on 512 MB before to speed it up and now to get it up to one Gig I took out the 256 I had started with and put in the other 512. So I have two 512's in now. But now when I get on the computer it starts and all and on my computer information is register that I have 1024 mb of RAM. But now I cant go into most of my things. Whenever I try to start firefox it crashes and keeps doing it when i start. When I try to use internet explorer is tries to connects and then freezes while connecting. My medieval 2 total war and empire total war (The game i got that needed the extra MB) worked before and now they wont open. Steam wont open. But a very few things will work like risk 2 and bitlord. I have two drives if that matters too. I also put the 256 back in after this occured and it still didnt put it back to normal.
So does anyone have any idea how to fix this, because so far my computer is unusable now.
Thank you so much in advance.

Advertisements

Pete1229

Pete1229

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
First off, it is NEVER a good idea to have two different size memory sticks installed at the same time. With that said, you probably need to do a bare bones start up. Shut the computer down, disconnect the power cord. Unplug all your drives, remove both memory sticks, pull out all expansion cards (PCI,AGP, modem, etc). Plug the power cord back in, start the computer, the display will tell you , no operating system found or something like that, shut it down again, unplug. Install your 2 512 memory sticks and plug in the hard drive that contains your operating system, probably the "c" drive then, plug in the power cord and and boot up, you will have to repeat this procedure after this for each device, your second hard drive, then your expansion cards one by one. let me know if this works .

Edited by Pete1229, 01 July 2009 - 06:51 PM.

ryan24695

ryan24695

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is a stupid question but I have to ask.
When i do get everything up, everything should be back to normal and I should have all my information and everything on there like it was. right?

Pete1229

Pete1229

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes everything should be as it was.