Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost msi file

• Please log in to reply

shaly777

shaly777

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
After installing the SP3 this morning for Windows XP my Excel is no longer working. It's strange though, because Word, Outlook and front page are still accessible....but when I click on the Excel icon, it goes through a bunch of stuff saying it's installing and then says it cannot locate PROPLUS.msi
I can access it by going C:\>Windows>repair>Software
and there I find it in a list and am able to access it. But why can't I access it from the usual place? I don't have my disk. But I'm guessing there must be some kind of way to repair it since my other Office things are working. Any ideas on where I can find this proplus.msi file?

Thank you!!

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
This might help:

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Go down to row 171, there's a fix.

DISCLAIMER - THIS FIX INVOLVES MAKING A CHANGE TO THE REGISTRY - DON'T BLAME ME IF IT GOES WRONG.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK. Now tell me if I understand this right:
I clicked on the fix and it showed me some values for settings in my registry. I went to look at the values indicated, and they matched with the ones on the fix.
00000000[1]
Am I correct that I'm supposed to set my registry to match the values shown on the fix?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yes I think that's how it works.

If your values already match, then that's not the problem.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hmmmm??? Well...looks like I'll just have to try out Open Office. Or stay with SP2.
What's the benefit of SP3 anyway?
I mean, is it pretty much mandatory, or what?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
What version of Excel are you running?

I run 2003 at home, on XP SP3 and it runs perfectly.

At work, I run 2000 on Windows 2000, SP4 and again, it runs without a problem.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well, It's got front page. I don't know. I'm not on that computer right now. But, before I upgraded to SP3 it was working, and even after SP3, I can use Excel if I access it through: C:\>Windows>repair>Software.
Also, Word and Power point and Outlook still work normally if that matters.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Temporarily then, why don't you make the executable that you are using in C:\>Windows>repair>Software a shortcut on ,say the desktop?
I assume you are clicking on some type of executable.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
That sounds like a good idea.
"executable"? I don't know what that means. Sorry! :) But,It's an "open with" window. It says "Choose the program you want to use to open this file" and then it has a scroll bar and a list of programs. MS Excel being one of them. I can create a shortcut to the software file....
OH WAIT! Does the fact that it's got blue font instead of black indicate that it's an "executable" file? I think I remember learning that just recently.
So, anyway, the icon in the repair folder is in BLUE font, but when I created a shortcut for the desktop, that one is in black. Why is that??? :)
thanks!

Edited by shaly777, 03 July 2009 - 08:56 PM.