Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Word (2003) resetting reference to global template

• Please log in to reply

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hi all,
Iíve had a recurring problem at work for several years and canít find a solution. In another forum way back in July 2005, someone had offered a possible solution. It didnít work.

Application info:
Windows XP, Word 2003

Problem:
I maintain a few hundred Word documents for several departments at a university. These documents are all referenced to a global template (located on a network directory) that processes information from a database and inserts address (and such) information into the document. Sporadically a reference to the global template will be reset to a temp file e.g. ~wrc00003.tmp which is saved and stored on the local C: drive. Obviously the next person that tries to open that same file receives a ďCompile error in hidden moduleĒ warning.
So, wanting to correct the problem, I open the VBA editor and remove the missing reference and replace it with the correct one. I compile the project, save it, close the document and reopen it only to find that the reference has been reset to a .tmp file. :) Tried a gazillion times all day yesterday to try and rectify the problem, but no luck. I have tried just about everything I could: reboot the PC (2x); used a clean Normal.dot; searched the internet and Microsoft Support extensively. All to no avail.

Does anybody know what causes this and the solution to the problem? I really would appreciate any feedback.

Crooz

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Don't know that I have any fixes for you, but I have at least some starting points;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826839
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247028

crooz

crooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks for the quick reply starjax.
I think I might have used the wrong term when referring to the 'global template.' What I meant by this is that the Word documents were referenced to a 'Work Group' template.
Your KnowledgeBase links refer to (corrupt) Normal.dots

I'll just wait it off till hopefully someone can come up with a suggestion/fix.

crooz

crooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Does anyone have a solution to this proplem?