Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply

stern

stern

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi

I am running Vista Home Edition and recently having lots of problems trying to install updates which I have been notified. The attached will show what has transpired on each of occasion of trying.
Help requested in trying to resolve the situation. I don't exactly know what information other than what is shown on the attachment to mention. Any info reqired will be supplied upon request.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG3rd_july.JPG

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Error Code 80242006 is caused because if the update is high priority update, Automatic Updates will not be able to install the update automatically or manually too, causing the Automatic Updates to keep prompting again and again for you to install the failed updates. Download the update in question from Microsoft and install it manually, however see error code 80070641 below first.

Error Code 80070641 seems to be a Windows Installer issue. Upgrade it from here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Error Code 8024200d would appear to be a download problem in that an update cannot install because it needs more data from Microsoft's website before it will install. The error is caused because said data cannot download. Either that or you're trying to install an update that requires other updates to be installed first so I would suggest you're trying to install Vista Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2. SP2 needs SP1 first, you can't stick it on a non-Sp1 machine.

stern

stern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi

Your quick response appreciated. H/ever I am not quite sure if I am understanding the para referring to Error Code 8024200D correctly.
Upon acquiring PC SP1 was preinstalled and I recently thought I had updated it to SP2. Did a check today and it shows up as SP1 on my PC.
Did a check on the failed /successful updates and within that list, attached file shows that SP2 was installed.

I also took it upon my self to do a services.msc check and Windows Installer is shown as being set as auotmatic type.

At this junction would like to inform you that my technical knowledge is somewhat limited so pls bear with me (patience requested).

Downloaded the below mentioned
Error Code 80070641 seems to be a Windows Installer issue. Upgrade it from here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
unquote

Upon carriying out instructions received the following
Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support Personel for assistance
unquote

Reading the info stated regarding Error Coed 80242006, indicated exactly what has been happening to me.

Currently in limbo land in that nothing tried has succeeded thus far.

Are you able to offer anything further.

Thanks
Stern