Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd OS screw up my Vid Card?

• Please log in to reply

Flint44

Flint44

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello heres what happened.
i have windows xp home edition and everything was working fine... and i dont ask why tried installing windows xp professional. then it didnt sucessfully install an the comp restarted and asked me what OS i want to start from. i choose the home edition and when it loaded up the resolution was crappy and i was able to make it so when i boot the computer it doesnt ask me which OS i want to start from, all i did was Delete it from the boot.ini notepad file. but its like my vid card isnt working...i go to control panel and display adapters and it says nvidia Geforce 9600gt with a " ! " mark. its says This device cannot start. Code 10. ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling. one time i got it to look right but when i booted the comp back up it was back to its code 10 issue again. any idea what i did to it? is that 2nd OS maybe still on here screwin it up? could use some help thanks alot. o and plz list how to fix it in steps. itd help out. thanks alot

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

Do you want to keep the XP home or upgrade to the XP Pro?
Were you looking to dual boot?
The fact that you had 2 boot files in the boot.ini means you installed a 2nd OS (that you knew). You did not upgrade.
Even though you have removed the boot line from boot.ini, the 2nd windows is still on the system. If you go to windows explorer, you will probably find a C:\windows and a C:\windows2 (or similar). You can safely delete the 2nd windows. That might straighten it out.

123runner

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Try reinstalling the driver, that should probably fix it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling. one time i got it to look right but when i booted the comp back up it was back to its code 10 issue again

He did

Flint44

Flint44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
k ill try an delete the XP professional. and ill keep my original Xp home. i was just trying to upgrade it so i could have windows media center. do u mind explaining to me how to delete it tho i dont need the media center

Flint44

Flint44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

Do you want to keep the XP home or upgrade to the XP Pro?
Were you looking to dual boot?
The fact that you had 2 boot files in the boot.ini means you installed a 2nd OS (that you knew). You did not upgrade.
Even though you have removed the boot line from boot.ini, the 2nd windows is still on the system. If you go to windows explorer, you will probably find a C:\windows and a C:\windows2 (or similar). You can safely delete the 2nd windows. That might straighten it out.

123runner

how do i delete the old one?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you know what problem you had when you tried to install XP Pro?
You should have been able to install it on the same drive and partition as XP Home. This has been done numerous times.

If you go to windows explorer, you will probably find a C:\windows and a C:\windows2 (or similar). You can safely delete the 2nd windows. That might straighten it out.

Just be sure you have the correct windows directory.

How to remove the 2nd OS from Microsoft

Edited by 123Runner, 05 July 2009 - 05:55 AM.

Flint44

Flint44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
k i deleted the OS i didnt want. then i uninstalled my video card and reinstalled and updated it but i still have that stupid Code 10 thing. i tried unplugging and putting it back in that didnt help. uninstalling it didnt help...should i buy a new video card?