Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual boot with 2 hard disks

• Please log in to reply

hardwarebugs

hardwarebugs

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi
Is it possible to dual-boot a machine with 2 hard disks, with os installed in each of the disks?

Thanks

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
quick answer = yes,

i can (and do) boot 4 operating systems off 3 hard drives

hardwarebugs

hardwarebugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks friend,
Can u explain briefly how to achieve this...

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
there are various ways to do this,
what operating systems are you using or planing to use ?
does your motherboard support the F11 boot options ?
sata or ide hdd's ?

to check if your motherboard supports F11 -
power on your machine and keep tapping F11,
you may be presented with a screen that gives you the choice of which device you can boot from,
if you do - just use the up and down arrow to choose your normal hdd and press enter,
(no changes will have been made)

hardwarebugs

hardwarebugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
both the os are xp pro sp2
its sata hdd's
I can get to that boot screen by F8 and not F11

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
ok - F8 is the windows advanced options screen and not needed for this,

how many windows keys do you have ? (this will determine a course of action)

is xp installed on both hard drives already ? (as 2 seperate, working operating systems, not as 1 being a storage drive)

hardwarebugs

hardwarebugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have installed xp on both harddrives (yes of course, as 2 separate working os)

Windows keys - Two

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
ok then - i guess you installed them seperately, the easiest way would have been to do the second install on the slave drive with xp already installed on the master,

(quick example (but do not follow this) boot to the xp cd and continue set-up, it will detect xp as already being installed and do you want to repair it, press escape and install to the second hdd, when its all finished there should be 2 options of xp presented to you)

are the 2 hard drives located in the pc ?
were both copies of xp installed to the SAME pc, the one that you are trying to dual boot ?

hardwarebugs

hardwarebugs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, both the hard drives are now located in the pc and the xp to the second
hard drive was installed in some other machine.
I have just taken out that hard drive and connected to the first machine n trying to dual boot.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
both copies of xp need to be installed on the same machine, otherwise there may be driver issues (failing to boot, blue screens, etc),

in your main copy of xp there is a little program to allow you to edit your boot.ini to add the second copy,
it takes a while to do - well about a minute really :)

if the second copy boots and is ok then i'll tell you how - if it doesn't then there's not much point

7ken

7ken

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok well here is a question, I didn't want to start another thread for somewhat the same question.
I have two hard drives installed. One 250GB with two partitions, C has XP Pro OS, and D is used for storage. I have just added a 1TB HD and have four partitions on it, G, H, I, and J. G is the smallest of the partitions at 200GB. I would also like to install XP Pro on this partition (G) and eventually format the C drive with the original XP Pro OS. After I install the second OS on G, can I go into the disk manager and make sure that the G drive is the "active" drive and format C?