Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless pc stopped receiving signal after 2 years

• Please log in to reply

Namflow

Namflow

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have a linksys router connected to 2 pc's and a wireless desktop in my basement along with a wireless laptop in my bedroom. After 2 years, the pc in the basement stopped receiving the signal from the router. I have a linksys wireless pci card installed in the pc. The laptop works just fine. I tried moving the card from one pci spot to the other with no luck. Any ideas as to why this happened? Did the card go bad in the pc?

Thank in advance

Advertisements

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
is it still located under "Network Connections"? can it detect wireless networks? Is it listed in your device manager?

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes- the card is listed under network connections and it tries to detect wireless networks but can not find any.

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Have you tried rebooting the router? If you take your laptop where the other computer is can it see and connect to the router from the same place?

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
the linksys card says it cannot assoiciate with the access point. My pc is running windows 2000. My other connected pc's run XP and Vista. The laptop runs xp

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well, is it not able to detect any wireless networks or not able to associated with wireless networks, their two different problems that would be fixed different ways.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
argh....my laptop won't connect either! Is it possible that when I set up the connected computers that I turned off the antenna in the router?

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
you need to login to your router and check, make sure you dont have broadcasting ssid disabled, and you didnt enable a mac filter or something. Have you even tried just rebooting the router? that fixes it 9 times out of 10.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok....i went into the router and made sure all the setting were correct and that the mac id's for the computer and laptop were allowed. I went back to my basement and the laptop and pc still were not working. I then took my laptop up to my office and it works. So.....by elimination, the basement is now a cold spot for my wireless network. The only thing I added down there recently was a wii for my kids. Could this be the problem?

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
its possible if the Wii has wireless and it was turned on at the time, you still didnt say was the issue that it could not associate or that it could not find the network, you seem to have MAC filtering setup if it found it but could not associate it could be an issue with that. Try using Netstumbler on your laptop its a free program that will find out where in your house the signal is reaching and if you have deadspots.

Advertisements

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
this is driving me nuts....now my laptop can't connect to my network while it is right next to the router. My laptop does not see my network now. What the [bleep] did I do??????

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
sounds like your Router is jacked, did you reboot it??? try updating firmware, resetting to defaults...

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
rebooted router.....laptop can now see network but can not connect

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
how do i update firmware on the router?

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
You have a linksys, so any firmare updates would be available on the linksys website. You could also use dd-wrt firmware which will unlock alot of advanced features on your Router, you can find that here

http://www.dd-wrt.co...wrtv3/index.php