Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless pc stopped receiving signal after 2 years

• Please log in to reply

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
updated the firmware....still not working though :) Now my laptop says limited or no connectivity. Any ideas as to what is going on? this is frustrating!!!!

Advertisements

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Understandably...First after your firmware update, login to your router, make sure your settings are right, make sure your wireless settings are still the same. verify its connected to the Internet using the status page. next on your laptop, Connect to your Router., If your still having problems. Open a DOS command prompt, and type "ping google.com" do you get replys?

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i am running XP on the laptop and 2000 on the pc in the basement. I still can not connect via laptop or pc via wireless. Anything else you can suggest?

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Your not giving enough information, your saying "I still cant connect" and that isnt telling us much. How cant you connect? what cant you connect to? What steps did you take? Did you follow the advice given in previous posts and if so which ones and what was the outcome? You have to be more descriptive.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i followed everything you said....the computer downstairs can not get a signal. The computer upstairs (laptop), I right click on the wireless network icon and open available networks. I double click on mine and it asks for the key. I generated the key when I went into the router from my main computer. I type the key in twice and click connect. then it says please wait while Windows connects to the 'Wolfman' network. Then it just hangs. I tried turning the firewall off in the router. I tried rebooting the router. Nothing. I never had these issues before.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i bought a new wireless router today...lets see if this fixes the problem. Otherwise i am lost.

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
So it was seeing the wireless router, it sounds like perhaps an issue with encryption, let us know if the new router fixed it.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
the new router fixed it! now I am having a problem that when I turn on the antenna in my laptop, it crashes windows. anyone know anything about this? Thanks again for all your help!