Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Floppy Drive wont access disks, not even the new 1

• Please log in to reply

Overseaz

Overseaz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an ABIT AN7 Motherboard and an everyday Mitsumni Floppy drive.
Running Windows XP Pro SP2.

The FLoppy Cable is a newer cable that has the notch so it can only go one way, so i know thats not it.

The Floppy Activiyty LED comes on when i try to access the drive, but gives me the message "Please Insert disk in drive a:" It worked for several months then suddently something has changed and it doesnt work.

I checked bios settings, its not disabled or anything, i tried a new floppy drive, and there are no compatibility issues.

Anyone have any recommendations?
These drives both work great in my other PC.

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by Overseaz, 11 May 2005 - 07:05 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Go into device manager and look for the floppy disk controller and see if there are any red or yellow marks by it. If so the controller could be bad but you could try and remove it and then restart and windows will reinstall the drivers for it.

You mentioned its a newer cable but you should still try another one just incase the cable is bad.

Rick

Overseaz

Overseaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, i tried this, no luck. Swapped cable out with another one, and it showed no problems in device manager at all, but i reinstalled the driver. no luck.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The only other thing I know of is the floppy controller on the mobo is bad, but look thru bios real good to make sure somethings like the fdd controller or bootup floppy seek is set to enable or anthing else of that nature.

Rick