Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Factory Default without backup disk?

• Please log in to reply

Tommybob2

Tommybob2

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, Recently I have had a problem with error 0xc0000022 for explorer.exe and I havn't found a way to fix it, so I thought that i'd just reset it back to factory default settings... When I did this I realised that I don't actually have a backup disk...

I have 2 questions:
1. Is it possible to reset to factory defaults without a backup disk?
2. Is it possible to make a backup disk on a different machine and use it on my computer?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Depends entirely on the computer and how you've come across Windows.

If you have a branded PC that you bought from a major outlet (such as HP, Compaq, Dell, Packard Bell, Gateway, Acer, etc) and you have no disks, then usually you'll have a recovery partition that you typically invoke by pressing F10, F11 or F12 while the logo of the company who made the computer is shown. In the case of a Dell it's CTRL+F11 but you usually get an installation disk anyway with a Dell.

If you built a computer yourself, you'll have had a disk from which Windows was installed originally. Use this.
If you bought a computer from somewhere or somebody and was not given a Windows CD or the machine does not have a licence stuck on the case, that is not good. Likewise if you have a CD but no licence, that's not good but it's better than no CD and no licence. If you have a licence but no CD, no biggie, a CD can be borrowed from a friend.

2) Branded PCs - no. Others - not from the PC itself, no.

Tommybob2

Tommybob2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, thanks for the help, but I still can't get it to go to system defaults... I have an Acer Aspire, with Vista... F11 and F12 both do different things, F12 gives me the options of to boot something else (I'm really confused on that one >_>) and F11 lets me do the System Repair (Which hasn't fixed the problem either)...

Any help?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I also have an Acer and when I first started the system, it gave me the option to create the startup disks. They are located in the Erecovery option in start.

If you can't get your system running now (won't boot into Windows) you may have to contact Acer and have them rend you the disks (there may be a fee).

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Acer machines for recovery partition is usually ALT+F2.

Tommybob2

Tommybob2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ah it dosn't matter now :)
I fixed my pc by downloading Vista SP2 :)